When do Medical schools find out where you applied to????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah? So when do they find out? Can it be negative? How do they find out? Do we disclose it, after acceptance... etc.. anyone that knows fill me in!!

Members don't see this ad.

EDIT: Whoops, apparently I was wrong, so I'll take my information down so as not to confuse anyone. Sorry about that!

it is my understanding (from this past cycle) that schools find out in February... Some will say march (when they have a deadline to pin down a class) but I know that a few foun dout in February and it effected my waitlist positions... In my experience, I was told that I had to be that more persistant with waitlists because schools could see that I was holding other acceptances. In the end it worked out but it is certainly more of an issue during the summer... Schools can also find out your status at other institutions once they have made a final decision on you... I.e. if you are accepted in December I think they can find out other schools that have reneered final decisions on you... not sure if they can access a generic list of schools you applied to...

Members don't see this ad :)
Johnny_one_eye said:
Um, I'm pretty sure they know where you're applying right away. When AMCAS sends them your primary application, it lists all the schools you're applying to.

Not sure what you mean by 'Can it be negative?' You mean like they won't offer you an interview because they don't like the schools you applied to?

Though the list of schools appears on your copy when you print out your application that section is not included in what goes to schools...(at least this was the case last year).... you will find that some schools (tufts? Tulane?) get around this by asking you to print out a copy of amcas and send it in with you application thereby seeing the list that comes with your copy... in my case I simply removed the last two pages that had my list of schools before i sent it to them...

I don't think that they find out where you applied to until they offer you acceptance. (This is from a previous sdn post)

Also, I believe that schools can find out where else you've been accepted and act on it as of may 15th...when you should only be holding one acceptance or risk losing your acceptances...

leahmaria said:
I don't think that they find out where you applied to until they offer you acceptance. (This is from a previous sdn post)

Also, I believe that schools can find out where else you've been accepted and act on it as of may 15th...when you should only be holding one acceptance or risk losing your acceptances...

That makes sense... To explain the rationale on why I proposed the possible negative consequences of medical schools seeing where else you applied is: A. If you applied to a lot of schools, it waters down your interest in theres, B. If you applied to all top tier schools and theres isn't, and vice versa, C. They just finished a game of dominoes and decide that your no good. Some say the latter is fiction, I implore you its non..

Thanks for all the great advice guys, this is a personal thing to me because I applied to WAY to many schools... other than be financially drained, I really wasn't looking for any other consequences.

I'm confused... so it does hurt u to apply to many schools once they see it?? I plan on apply to MANY schools.....

Apply to a wide range of schools Neha. You want to get into some. It's only once a school has made a final decision about you or late in the cycle that they see everyone else's verdict, provided of course you don't mail them a print-out of your student copy of AMCAS and barring some sort of apocolyptic computer server error.

The goal is of this game is to get in. I HIGHLY doubt any admission committee is going to look at a bunch of rejections from higher ranked schools than their own, see you haven't gotten in anywhere, then reverse their decision to a "Welcome" letter. Don't stress about this and apply to a good number of safeties, matches, and reaches. With a well-prepared application and a bit of luck, you'll be enrolling next fall.