When do post bacc students apply to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkfreud1394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is a stupid or previously answered question on here. Do folks in post baccalaureate programs apply to med schools during their coursework or do they start the application process after they've finished post bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

If by "postbac" you mean "I have a low GPA and am trying to do something about it" the short answer is "finish your GPA redemption, get an above average MCAT, THEN apply".

If by "postbac" you mean "I have a liberal arts undergrad 4.0 and got into Bryn Mawr" then the short answer is "Bryn Mawr has linkage so you're probably applying during your postbac".

If by "postbac" you mean "My GPA is > 3.6 and I'm taking prereqs and/or fresh science coursework wherever I can and hoping to take the MCAT in the spring" then the short answer is "apply when you have all your numerical assets (GPA&MCAT) in place, no later than mid-July".

In other words:
- high GPA? apply during postbac
- low GPA? apply after postbac

If by "postbac" you mean "I have a low GPA and am trying to do something about it" the short answer is "finish your GPA redemption, get an above average MCAT, THEN apply".

If by "postbac" you mean "I have a liberal arts undergrad 4.0 and got into Bryn Mawr" then the short answer is "Bryn Mawr has linkage so you're probably applying during your postbac".

If by "postbac" you mean "My GPA is > 3.6 and I'm taking prereqs and/or fresh science coursework wherever I can and hoping to take the MCAT in the spring" then the short answer is "apply when you have all your numerical assets (GPA&MCAT) in place, no later than mid-July".

In other words:
- high GPA? apply during postbac
- low GPA? apply after postbac

very helpful, thank you!