(When) do you give up on a manuscript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedaypsych

Clinical Psychology PhD Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic (didn't think it warranted a new thread), but I'm curious about everyone's experiences with being rejected from a journal and subsequent submissions to other journals. I'm having not-so-great luck with a paper, although it has received positive feedback. I've read all the articles about the fact that it takes a long time, rejections are the norm, etc., but I am curious about the experiences of those on this board, especially current students or early career. When to give up? When to keep going? Thanks!

Mod note: Broke this out into its own thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many journals have you tried? If < 5-6, you are in good company and keep going. Consider sliding down a tier if need be.

Not sure I'd ever really advocate giving up on something unless the study was so poorly designed it is meaningless or you can't find any lower tier journals without sending it somewhere sketchy. My mentor once said "Every paper is publishable, its just a matter of finding the right home." Obviously it can make sense to prioritize though and there may certainly be a point at which a "meh" publication in a crummy journal isn't worth sinking more time into when there are a dozen other papers to be working on. Barring that though, I say keep going.

Reactions: 1 user
How many journals have you tried? If < 5-6, you are in good company and keep going. Consider sliding down a tier if need be.

Not sure I'd ever really advocate giving up on something unless the study was so poorly designed it is meaningless or you can't find any lower tier journals without sending it somewhere sketchy. My mentor once said "Every paper is publishable, its just a matter of finding the right home." Obviously it can make sense to prioritize though and there may certainly be a point at which a "meh" publication in a crummy journal isn't worth sinking more time into when there are a dozen other papers to be working on. Barring that though, I say keep going.

Thanks for your reply, Ollie123. I'm glad to hear that I am in good company at this point! I really do believe that the paper has a place in the world, so I think it warrants perseverance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely keep trying.

Other words of wisdom from Ollie's favorite grad school professors:
"Academia is 10% ability, 10% being in the right place at the right time, and 80% being willing to beat your head against a wall for days on end while pretending it doesn't hurt."

Reactions: 5 users
Other words of wisdom from Ollie's favorite grad school professors:
"Academia is 10% ability, 10% being in the right place at the right time, and 80% being willing to beat your head against a wall for days on end while pretending it doesn't hurt."
Could you be successful if you have no ability, and are never at the right place at the right time?..because I'm really talented at beating my head against the wall and pretending it doesn't hurt.

;)

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic (didn't think it warranted a new thread), but I'm curious about everyone's experiences with being rejected from a journal and subsequent submissions to other journals. I'm having not-so-great luck with a paper, although it has received positive feedback. I've read all the articles about the fact that it takes a long time, rejections are the norm, etc., but I am curious about the experiences of those on this board, especially current students or early career. When to give up? When to keep going? Thanks!
I've gotten lots of rejections from high tier journals that were positive reviews. It's normal, especially if you work by starting from the top place it could possibly be published. As long as the stuff behind it is sound, keep trying. With every new journal, be sure you are incorporating feedback form the 1st round--more than once I've been asked to review a paper at a new journal that I'd already reviewed and rejected elsewhere, and they did nothing with the feedback I gave. Also be sure you a few recent papers from read the new journal to see if you need to emphasize/deemphasize different things.

Reactions: 1 user
I've gotten lots of rejections from high tier journals that were positive reviews. It's normal, especially if you work by starting from the top place it could possibly be published. As long as the stuff behind it is sound, keep trying. With every new journal, be sure you are incorporating feedback form the 1st round--more than once I've been asked to review a paper at a new journal that I'd already reviewed and rejected elsewhere, and they did nothing with the feedback I gave. Also be sure you a few recent papers from read the new journal to see if you need to emphasize/deemphasize different things.

Thanks for your reply. Yes! I've found the feedback to be really useful - maybe even worth the rejection?! :) To your last point, this is def where I went wrong this time around.

I recently had a paper accepted in a mid-tier journal after having it previously submitted seven (!!), including one revise and resubmit. It was a gruesome process with months of waiting just to get rejected in the end. I'm happy I will never have to look at that paper again, but I'm also glad that stuck it out as I thought it was a solid paper.

Reactions: 4 users
Keep trying. I've thrown in the towel on a couple of manuscripts that most likely could have made it with a little more time and effort, and I regret it.

Thanks to all who have replied! This has been quite helpful.