General Admissions & OTCAS When do you plan on submitting your app for the 2015 school year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious when everyone is planning on submitting their applications. I applied really late last time, I'm not going to make that mistake this time. However, I don't plan on applying until end of summer/early fall. What do you think of this? Just trying to get a reference letter together. Need to get to know the person more and then ask for a letter...that's why I am waiting a few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I was wondering the same thing... Some schools I'm applying to don't open til October while others are on a rolling basis now that OTCAS is open.. However, I plan on applying late August/ Early September to get my scores for the GRE in order. How late did you apply last year?

I've already started! My cumulative GPA isn't so hot, so I need all the help I can get lol

Applied: Bay Path, D'Youville
In progress: University of Southern Maine, Mercy College, FGCU,
Thinking about: Nova (Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale) and Springfield

UG Cum: 2.9
Last 60: 3.1
Prereqs (hopefully after stats) 3.5
Volunteer hrs: 40 (in progress) Rehab Center (mostly hand) and Children's hospital Outpatient
GRE: Taking in September

What do you guys think?
Do I stand a chance? Any insight on how these schools select?
I'm a teacher, so unfortunately I won't be able to volunteer much more come the school year :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I submitted my application Thanksgiving weekend last time. So pretty late! But, my observation hours were pretty much non-existent so that's definitely a huge reason why I did not get in. I did get wait-listed at one school though. In the end I'm kind of glad I applied and know what it's like to go through the process.

My dad is a nurse and has been talking to OT's since I'm planning on going to OT school.... he told her my GPA (3.25) and she said that is right on the border of what they want.

You're a teacher? Switching careers? 2.9 GPA is lower than what schools look for. How many hours do you think you will have by the end of the summer? I see people applying with 100+ hours, I won't have that by the time summer is over. The OT I am with now said that amount of hours is not necessary, she said to try and get experience in different facilities so I'm glad I have that under my belt.

I have a 3.25 undergrad GPA, my last 60 is closer to a 3.5. I have about 40 observation hours as of right now. I have 15 hours in an outpatient hand therapy place and the rest I am currently getting at an inpatient rehab hospital. Working on getting that number up throughout the summer. I don't remember my GRE scores right now but they were right on average of what most schools want you to have. I was disappointed with my scores but at least I got in the range they look for. I plan on applying to Temple, Jefferson, Philly U, Stockton, Usciences, Salus, and some others that I have not decided on yet.

I hope to apply by September or so.

I want to apply by the middle of September. But one of the programs I'm applying to has an October 15th deadline for applications. Bonus, then most everything will be in order for my November/December/March deadlines super early. I took the GRE today and my brain is fried @.@

I've already started! My cumulative GPA isn't so hot, so I need all the help I can get lol

Applied: Bay Path, D'Youville
In progress: University of Southern Maine, Mercy College, FGCU,
Thinking about: Nova (Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale) and Springfield

UG Cum: 2.9
Last 60: 3.1
Prereqs (hopefully after stats) 3.5
Volunteer hrs: 40 (in progress) Rehab Center (mostly hand) and Children's hospital Outpatient
GRE: Taking in September

What do you guys think?
Do I stand a chance? Any insight on how these schools select?
I'm a teacher, so unfortunately I won't be able to volunteer much more come the school year :(

2.9 is lower then what most schools look for because most schools require at least a 3.0 minimum...but don't be discouraged! I would advice to apply to some private schools, since they have less applicants. Public OT schools are more competitive due to the price. So, just apply to some private schools, get more OT shadow hours in, do very well on the GRE, have great LORs and you should have a good shot :) good luck

Thanks for the insight. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little worried now. :(

I'll take your advice naijagirl90 and see what I can do about those volunteer hours

Applied: Bay Path, D'Youville, CUNY York
In progress: University of Southern Maine, Nova (Tampa), FAMU, Salem State University

If for whatever reason I don't get in to OT school, I'm seriously thinking of OTA school. I've come so far!
I am changing careers because even though I LOVE my work, it takes so much from you with out much return.
In a perfect world, I would continue to teach, but I feel that OT is the perfect field for me.

I'm not giving up!

Hello! Of those who have already submitted to OTCAS how long did it take for them to get your GPA calculation. Also, does anyone know how they calculate when there is a repeated course?

If I remember correctly mine took like 2 weeks? I'm not sure.

ANyway-- I have a question... I asked the OT I am shadowing for a reference letter and she is more than happy to do it for me. She also asked me if there is anything I want to add in the letter to make it sound better to let her know.... Any ideas of what she means by this and what I could tell her?

Hey everyone! What schools is everyone applying to?
I am finishing up my OTCAS application and hope to have it submitted by early September

I am applying to:
University of Pittsburgh
Chatham University
Thomas Jefferson
Towson
Shenandoah

My stats are
University of Pittsburgh:
Major: Psychology
Minors: Social Work & Sociology
GPA: 3.4
Last 60: 3.7
Pre Req: 3.5-3.7 depending on program
GRE: retaking it...

OT Volunteering: ~ 50 hours in Rehab unit on stroke floor and an inpatient rehab unit in a nursing home
I have over 1000 volunteering hours outside of OT
Work Experience: 500+ hours as a student nursing assistant at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
300+ hours tutoring inner city youth in reading and phonics
Recommendation letters: OT, Work Supervisor, A&P professor

How do you think my chances are at getting into any of these schools? I am already stressing myself out!

If I remember correctly mine took like 2 weeks? I'm not sure.

ANyway-- I have a question... I asked the OT I am shadowing for a reference letter and she is more than happy to do it for me. She also asked me if there is anything I want to add in the letter to make it sound better to let her know.... Any ideas of what she means by this and what I could tell her?

Write out all of your experiences in volunteering and how they fit in with OT, one of my reference letter writers asked me to do this so she could brag on me a bit in the letter

The really important thing about hours is what you learned, if asked in an interview "tell me about your experiences observing" listing off places and hours is not going to impress them. You need to communicate that you grasped many, many ways an OT can be of service (here is where you can slip in the various places), and try to have a few specific examples that really inspired you