When does AMCAS 2010 open?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbsckmnn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully this will be an easy one to tackle. I am trying to plan a post-graduation trip to do some hiking/camping for a couple of weeks. I'm applying for admissions Fall 2010, and I have heard it's important to get your primary app in ASAP, so I was wondering if anyone knew when the 2010 AMCAS opens for submission (June ___, 2009?) so I can be at home for that, with internet access etc. Also, when am I able to begin working on it? Thanks so much...

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess sometime in june but I wouldn't think that you had to be home for that exact date, as long as you submit pretty early I would think you'd be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
This year, I believed it opened on or around May 15th. The first day that you were allowed to submit was June 4th.

You can always fill it out earlier, and then get someone else to click 'send' for you.

This year, I believed it opened on or around May 15th. The first day that you were allowed to submit was June 4th.
That sounds like a really good idea if it'll help your situation - fill it out in May and have someone you trust log in and submit once it is allowed!

P.S. Don't listen to others and have someone send it for you unless it is someone you truly trust. Keep in mind your AMCAS has your addresses, phone numbers, emails, and most of all your social security number.

It has your grades and your personal essays and resume stuff which some gunner can purposely alter. So don't let someone else do it.
Damn, I sure hope no one I consider a friend would do this to me. Jeez. I was thinking of a parent or significant other, someone you REALLY trust. This is more important than turning in a problem set. I still think it's a doable idea.

As far as the timing, yeah, 2 weeks won't really matter that much. The bottom line is to turn things in when you're ready. If you're ready in May before you leave for your trip, awesome - have that trusted someone submit for you. If you're not ready, come back and work on it some more. I mean, you don't want to be submitting in October, but do take the time to create a product that you're satisfied with.

Sadly, I wouldn't even give my closest friends my info because I've heard of people stealing their friends info and plagiarizing ont heir application resume things, I've seen people who've been given someone's PS only to plagiarize word per word with maybe like 5-10 words dleted out of it so that it sounded a bit choppy but otherwise the same. I've heard of stories on here too. My point is that a lot of people will pretend to be your friend and in terms of socializing they may be. But in terms of your resume and things like that they are not always trust worthy.

I'm just speaking from experience of things I've seen happen to people.

This is why I won't even give the closest of my friends my PS with the exception of the person that helped me revise mine. However, that particular person is someone who has already been accepted to medical school and is now an M2. Also, that particular peson is a far superior writer in relation to me. But still I didn't give her access to my AMCAS. Access to that means access to my SSN and that is something I trust NO ONE with esp. when they are not required to have it.

That seems just a little extreme... :thumbdown: A parent/significant other (especially if he or she isn't going for medical school) couldn't care less about your PS. I also don't see my mother stealing my PS, and she already knows my SSN (she IS my parent after all...). At my school we have to sign up for classes using our SSN, and I was out of the country so I had a friend sign up for me - no problem at all and he didn't steal my identity (at least I hope not!) :cool:

In any case, I definitely wouldn't worry about it this early in the game... this would be something to consider in May!

But still I didn't give her access to my AMCAS. Access to that means access to my SSN and that is something I trust NO ONE with esp. when they are not required to have it.

While I agree that you should not let someone else submit the AMCAS for you, it is peculiar that so many people feel like they have to guard their SSN. In fact, your SSN is nearly public information, and it is easily found out. I don't know why people are so paranoid about the SSN though.

Hey guys, hopefully this will be an easy one to tackle. I am trying to plan a post-graduation trip to do some hiking/camping for a couple of weeks. I'm applying for admissions Fall 2010, and I have heard it's important to get your primary app in ASAP, so I was wondering if anyone knew when the 2010 AMCAS opens for submission (June ___, 2009?) so I can be at home for that, with internet access etc. Also, when am I able to begin working on it? Thanks so much...

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. Unfortunately, until AMCAS releases the dates that you are asking about, no one on here is going to know the answer. As others have said, you can always fix your PS as much as possible prior to being able to access the application. Best of luck ;-)

While I agree that you should not let someone else submit the AMCAS for you, it is peculiar that so many people feel like they have to guard their SSN. In fact, your SSN is nearly public information, and it is easily found out. I don't know why people are so paranoid about the SSN though.

True... I found my genetics professors SSN online... I wonder if I should do anything with it:smuggrin:

It seems like that magical time of the year is almost upon us again!

It seems like that magical time of the year is almost upon us again!

ugh and this time i'm stupid enough to participate ahah

this whole thing doesn't seem so bad when you're watching from the sidelines. but just the thought of getting these LORs through some wacky services and getting your transcripts sent in and your AMCAS verified and making sure your LOR writers sent them into interfolio correctly and those schools get the damn letters AHAGGGGGGGGGGHAHGHG

ugh and this time i'm stupid enough to participate ahah

this whole thing doesn't seem so bad when you're watching from the sidelines. but just the thought of getting these LORs through some wacky services and getting your transcripts sent in and your AMCAS verified and making sure your LOR writers sent them into interfolio correctly and those schools get the damn letters AHAGGGGGGGGGGHAHGHG

Haha. It's not that bad! Just do like your signature says.

haha i wish. no 37-43 here.

edit - just saw your mdapps, awesome cycle for you, congrats.

Because all you need to open up a credit card in someone's name is their SSN and their mother's maiden name. The SSN is arguably the more difficult of the two to obtain.

Yea, ask your mom to send it or something.