When does the MCAT end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What time of the day does the MCAT end in the afternoon? If you have taken it, please comment. I would like to book my transportation right after my MCAT and fall asleep on the bus.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends upon how fast you are, if you take your breaks, what time you start, etc. The exam is supposed to start at 8:00am. If you took all of your breaks, started right on time, and went through the entire 10 minute intro, it would end around 3:15pm. When I took the test, they got me started around 7:45am, I didn't use my full breaks, and I didn't need all of the time. I ended a little after 2:00pm.

Expect to be there for about 8 hours (like a fill day of work). If you add up all the testing/break time, you get:

95 minutes (Chem/Phys)
90 minutes (CARS)
95 minutes (Bio/Biochem)
95 minutes (Psych/Soc)
10 min break (optional)
10 min break (optional)
30 minute lunch (optional)

This adds up to 425 minutes, or 7 hours, 5 minutes.

Long story short, expect to start ~ 8am, expect to be leaving by 4pm, latest if all goes normally.

Good luck!

Expect to be there for about 8 hours (like a fill day of work). If you add up all the testing/break time, you get:

95 minutes (Chem/Phys)
90 minutes (CARS)
95 minutes (Bio/Biochem)
95 minutes (Psych/Soc)
10 min break (optional)
10 min break (optional)
30 minute lunch (optional)

This adds up to 425 minutes, or 7 hours, 5 minutes.

Long story short, expect to start ~ 8am, expect to be leaving by 4pm, latest if all goes normally.

Good luck!

Sorry to read bump this post, but are they no longer offering the exam at 1 p.m. since the exam takes a lot longer now to finish? All the test dates for 2017 that I've seen are only for 8 a.m. so I was curious if 2018 would provide us with a 1 p.m. test time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, all exams are at 8am due to the ~7-hour exam time (which can be made even longer by the check-in process, etc.). The AAMC no longer offers exams at 1pm because students wouldn't finish until around 8 or 9pm.

Of course, 2018 dates haven't been released yet, so only the AAMC know the exact details. But it's overwhelmingly likely that all exams will still start at 8am.

Yes, all exams are at 8am due to the ~7-hour exam time (which can be made even longer by the check-in process, etc.). The AAMC no longer offers exams at 1pm because students wouldn't finish until around 8 or 9pm.

Of course, 2018 dates haven't been released yet, so only the AAMC know the exact details. But it's overwhelmingly likely that all exams will still start at 8am.
Yeah, I followed them on Twitter and asked them and they said that all the exams would be administered at 8 a.m. unfortunately.

I walked back from the waiting room to get my picture taken around 7:45, went through that process, took just about the full time for every single opportunity and was in my car at 3:30.