When/how should I begin preparing for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

key14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm a first year student, and due to circumstances, my first semester in college is going to be Spring 2013. I'm dedicated to applying to medical school, and I was hoping to get some guidance on MCAT preparation.

I'm currently attending a California Community College, and I plan on transferring into a UC or Cal Poly school Fall 2014, with the hopes of graduating Spring 2016.

Since I'm coming from a community college, I feel like I should wait to take my med school prereqs once I get into university, for more credibility. Though I'm planning on finishing my english, math, and possibly physics while still in CC (so I can put more emphasis on bio and chemistry once in university). But because I'm not planning on taking my prereqs until later in the game, when should I start preparing for the MCAT? I have a good history in independent learning, and a strong background in biology (aced the AP Bio exam in high school). Also, my major is in music, so not a lot of science courses there, haha.

Would it be a bad idea to try to teach myself the concepts tested on the MCAT, and when should I begin? When is the most ideal time to take the exam?

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I'm a first year student, and due to circumstances, my first semester in college is going to be Spring 2013. I'm dedicated to applying to medical school, and I was hoping to get some guidance on MCAT preparation.

I'm currently attending a California Community College, and I plan on transferring into a UC or Cal Poly school Fall 2014, with the hopes of graduating Spring 2016.

Since I'm coming from a community college, I feel like I should wait to take my med school prereqs once I get into university, for more credibility. Though I'm planning on finishing my english, math, and possibly physics while still in CC (so I can put more emphasis on bio and chemistry once in university). But because I'm not planning on taking my prereqs until later in the game, when should I start preparing for the MCAT? I have a good history in independent learning, and a strong background in biology (aced the AP Bio exam in high school). Also, my major is in music, so not a lot of science courses there, haha.

Would it be a bad idea to try to teach myself the concepts tested on the MCAT, and when should I begin? When is the most ideal time to take the exam?

Thanks so much for your help!

Prepare in 3rd year. It takes a year for the application cycle so applying june of 3rd year would be ideal and then grad in 4th and attend med school. It's up to you though... it might be nice to have a break but then again there's a possibility you'll forget a lot of the ochem/bio/phys. So yeah I think 3rd year Jan mcat is the way to go (that's what i did).
Don't worry about the mcat for now. Start studying for it by doing well in the pre reqs....

Hi railgun, thanks for answering! My biggest concern about waiting until I finish my prereqs is that I won't even start my bio and chem classes (let alone ochem) until my 3rd year. Should I study those independently before I get to university, if I take the MCAT Jan of my 3rd year?

Hi railgun, thanks for answering! My biggest concern about waiting until I finish my prereqs is that I won't even start my bio and chem classes (let alone ochem) until my 3rd year. Should I study those independently before I get to university, if I take the MCAT Jan of my 3rd year?

hmm. I would def recommend taking those classes before studying independently. Studying on your own will help, but it makes it much easier if you have someone explain things to you.
If I were in your position, I would most likely take a year off (or spend an extra year at uni) and take the mcat the summer after 3rd or jan/after of 4th year. You can also take those core classes in CC (I'm not sure whether adcoms are gonna look down on it especially if you still take upper level bio in univ). But definitely recommend doing the ochem and physics. Studying for all of it on your own might not go too well... but it's your decision. Maybe you can do it. I probably couldn't especially if I was taking other classes on the side.

You shouldn't be taking the MCAT if you haven't completed all or nearly all of the pre-reqs. That's really setting yourself up for trouble. I'm not saying it's impossible to do well without taking courses, but you're not giving yourself the best chance possible for success. I would rework your course schedule or take the MCAT later on after you've taken everything. The best prep for the MCAT is doing well and learning the material in the pre-reqs.