When i apply for med school do they look at my CC transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicallyEnthused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i spent the last 2 years going to a community college getting all my non science and lower level science/math courses out of the way. I am now transferring (everything is guaranteed to transfer) to the 4-year University in my town (state school).

My GPA from the community college is a 3.65.
I know that my GPA "starts over" at the 4 year i will be attending.

What my question is, is when i apply for med school, will they want transcripts from the community college i attended?

Will they calculate overall/science GPA between both the CC and 4 year?\

Any and all input is much appreciated,
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so i spent the last 2 years going to a community college getting all my non science and lower level science/math courses out of the way. I am now transferring (everything is guaranteed to transfer) to the 4-year University in my town (state school).

What my question is, is when i apply for med school, will they want transcripts from the community college i attended?

Any and all input is much appreciated,
Thanks.

Yes! Every transcript from every college you ever attended will get sent into amcas or aacomas (the central application services for MD and do schools). They will compile your science GPA and cumulative GPA from all collegiate courses and get a complete listing of every course and its grade.

Yes! Every transcript from every college you ever attended will get sent into amcas or aacomas (the central application services for MD and do schools). They will compile your science GPA and cumulative GPA from all collegiate courses and get a complete listing of every course and its grade.

+1

AMCAS sees all and knows all...

....or at least they would like you to think so. But yes, they will factor in your CC grades to your overall GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
ALL of yoru transcripts get looked at. Nothing magically gets ignored, hidden, or goes away.

Not for AMCAS.

Yes. Any school you matriculated.

yes.

Do medical schools view community college courses/grades any differently than at 4 year universities?

+1

AMCAS sees all and knows all...

....or at least they would like you to think so. But yes, they will factor in your CC grades to your overall GPA.

Not really... They would like you to think so. I made a mistake on both my AMCAS and AACOMAS. There was one class I took in the summer 10 years ago, and I forgot to list it on my primary app. AFTER getting accepted to several schools, I remembered that I did take a class from that other school (in addition to the eight different schools that I did remember). I called up my school's Office of the Dean and explained what happened. They told me "no problem, just get us the transcript and it will be all good."

Considering the worst case scenario would be getting my acceptance rescinded, I thought that it all went rather smoothly.

Bottom line, neither AMCAS nor AACOMAS caught my mistake. Either they sample randomly, or they don't check at all.

But to answer the OP, why would you not want to carry over a 3.56? Considering that for most people, that GPA is higher than what they can get in the science prerequisites.

dsoz

I don't view them differently, but I have a colleague who does. Overall, I believe that it's an urabn legend amongst pre-meds that med schools look down upon CC coursework.

Oh, is that why Hopkins stopped accepting pre-requisite coursework from a CC?

And that must also explain why Boston University writes this on their secondary:

"While we consider each academic record in its entirety, the BUSM Committee on Admissions generally prefers that applicants use courses taken at a Preferred Institution*, and avoid using AP, CLEP, Community College, Junior College, foreign institution, or distance/on-line course work in fulfillment of prerequisites."