When is a good time to send in letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonymousUserName

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Previous letter of intent threads are years old; and as we all know, healthcare is a fast evolving field, so I need you guys' input on when best to send out the letter of intent for this cycle (2015-16).

I understand right now is still kind of early in the application cycle but I have interviewed at a few schools already. There's this one low-mid tier MD school that stands out above all else to me, great fit both ways and everything, but their admissions process is longggggg to say the least (the app status is post-interview wait or committee hold - basically the adcom hasn't got to my app yet). My interview was on 10/30, and I'm 100% sure I'll be attending this school if admitted. Would an early Letter of Intent help or damage my chances of admission?

So I need you guys' opinions/advice/suggestions: Should I send in the Letter of Intent at this stage of the application process before officially being put on the waitlist? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Any honest input will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told by multiple residents (so bear in mind, their info is at least 5 years out of date) that the best time is late January to mid February, when most schools have sent out their acceptances and are looking for the last remaining candidates to fill their seats.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at a school a few weeks ago and just sent in a letter of intent.

My rationale for this is that my application and interview feedback will go before the admissions committee in the coming weeks and I will either get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Hopefully the LOI will bump me from getting waitlisted to accepted.

Probably wishful thinking, oh well...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought letters of intent were best sent after interviewing and getting put on hold/the alternate list. I like the idea of sending one around January.

Reactions: 2 users
I think I remember @Goro saying that sending one before waitlisted is useless

Last edited:
I've heard to send one in late winter sometime. Sending one too early may come across as desperate...similarly with sending one too late. I'll probably send one in Jan-Feb. I think the key is to send one when many acceptances are out (so it looks as though you have an acceptance at a school, but you really would like to attend the school that you are sending a LOI to).

Last edited:
Is a letter of intent the same as an update letter? I was just preparing to send update letters to places I have not yet received interviews, as some things have changed since submitting my secondary.

Medical school is a sellers market and you're the buyer. These things are for the most part meaningless and in this situation will probably hurt you more than help. It sounds like the admission committee there has a set way of doing things, even if it is slow. Don't try to rock the boat. Just wait your turn to get reviewed.

Reactions: 3 users
Is a letter of intent the same as an update letter? I was just preparing to send update letters to places I have not yet received interviews, as some things have changed since submitting my secondary.

No. A letter of intent is a letter you send to one school saying, "if you accept me, I will go here". You are perfectly find sending an update letter to multiple schools.

What impact would a non-binding contract from a desperate candidate have????

Pretend that you're a hot chick. Some guy says "but I'll still respect you in the morning!"

Would you believe him????

Disclaimer: Previous letter of intent threads are years old; and as we all know, healthcare is a fast evolving field, so I need you guys' input on when best to send out the letter of intent for this cycle (2015-16).

I understand right now is still kind of early in the application cycle but I have interviewed at a few schools already. There's this one low-mid tier MD school that stands out above all else to me, great fit both ways and everything, but their admissions process is longggggg to say the least (the app status is post-interview wait or committee hold - basically the adcom hasn't got to my app yet). My interview was on 10/30, and I'm 100% sure I'll be attending this school if admitted. Would an early Letter of Intent help or damage my chances of admission?

So I need you guys' opinions/advice/suggestions: Should I send in the Letter of Intent at this stage of the application process before officially being put on the waitlist? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Any honest input will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
The only time that a love letter like this might have an effect is after April 30th when you are holding an acceptance to a cheaper (or "better") school and would prefer the school where you have been waitlisted.
The very best timing is after waitlist movement has started at the desired school.

Reactions: 8 users
The best time to send in a letter of intent is when you are waitlisted at School X and accepted at Yale. Tell School X that you'll go to Yale if it's your only option, but you'd prefer School X.

Reactions: 5 users
Awesome analogy! Sounds like The Goro is back down to earth :D

Pretend that you're a hot chick. Some guy says "but I'll still respect you int he morning!"

Reactions: 1 users
First, I must thank everyone for offering such valuable opinions and insights.

I interviewed at a school a few weeks ago and just sent in a letter of intent.

My rationale for this is that my application and interview feedback will go before the admissions committee in the coming weeks and I will either get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. Hopefully the LOI will bump me from getting waitlisted to accepted.

Probably wishful thinking, oh well...

My rationale is similar to yours, except my numbers are borderline, so I'm hoping that the LOI can pull me up to the waitlist and prevent a straight up post-interview rejection. Anyone shed some light on such rationale please?

Pretend that you're a hot chick. Some guy says "but I'll still respect you in the morning!"

Well, at least @Goro finds me exceedingly attractive, so I've got that going for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I also had a similar question - the school I'd like to send a LOI strongly implied that they like to hear if their school is your top preference. Also this school will make a number of acceptances/waitlists/rejections in mid-december. Now the question is this: is it worthwhile to send a LOI before that date or just see if I am accepted/waitlisted since a reject probably would mean that school might pass me over regardless?

Note: I have sent a thank you letter following the interview to the dean where I wrote the school fits me best and I have sent the school an update with publications. I also have multiple acceptances at this point at well regarded schools so this is not in desperation.

Yea I also had a similar question - the school I'd like to send a LOI strongly implied that they like to hear if their school is your top preference. Also this school will make a number of acceptances/waitlists/rejections in mid-december. Now the question is this: is it worthwhile to send a LOI before that date or just see if I am accepted/waitlisted since a reject probably would mean that school might pass me over regardless?

Note: I have sent a thank you letter following the interview to the dean where I wrote the school fits me best and I have sent the school an update with publications. I also have multiple acceptances at this point at well regarded schools so this is not in desperation.

My top choice is a similar school that told us it would like to hear that it is the No. 1 choice. The school will release decisions next year. Should I go ahead and send a letter of intent before the decisions come out?

Then it won't hurt you to try