When is it appropriate to contact prospective PI post interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gypsyflemming

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks - does anyone have input on when its appropriate to get in touch with a PI following an interview? Im getting varied feedback from post-docs and current applicants. The two week mark following my interview would have been this past Friday. I don't want to give off the air of impatience and was notified last Tuesday that the group had yet to meet to discuss the applicants. With that being said, a friend was in touch with the clinical program coordinator today and got feedback that offers are going out and she thinks the vast majority have gone out. Is it too soon to email? Should I hold out for a few more days?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Generally 2-3 weeks post interview is appropriate time to follow up with your POI if you haven't heard anything. If you have received news on something (e.g., journal submission, awards) you can follow up earlier. I think it is totally ok for you to contact the coordinator at this point. Hope this helps and good luck!

There is never a "right" time.

It depends on what is pushing you to ask. Do you have another offer? Do you need to decide because your partner has an offer? Are you just curious?

If it is just curiosity, then 2 weeks is a reasonable timeframe to ask for an update.

If you have a pending offer with a timeline, then you absolutely can email whenever.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for feedback - nothing pressing, just for my sanity.