When is it OK to ask for LOR via email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the attendings I plan to ask for a LOR from already knows me fairly well, and is extremely busy. He's already made mention of writing me a letter, but I wanted to wait until I had a research project fairly well underway with him before I asked officially. (We now have a project in process.) Given all this, is it okay to formally ask for the letter via email? Knowing how busy he is, it feels a bit presumptuous to set up a face-to-face meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO if you know them well, sending a short email inquiring about it and perhaps asking when would be a good time to stop by his office with your CV and personal statement is sufficient. Since he's so busy you want to imply that you are just dropping off your information, not staying for a lengthy visit.

IMHO if you know them well, sending a short email inquiring about it and perhaps asking when would be a good time to stop by his office with your CV and personal statement is sufficient. Since he's so busy you want to imply that you are just dropping off your information, not staying for a lengthy visit.
Yeah,
Might have to reschedule a couple times, but I'd recommend trying to get that five minutes over emailing him.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I requested all of my LORs via email, but also knew all of them very well. I did meet with a couple of them face to face - especially the chairman - but most I had worked with so much that it wasn't really necessary. For the rest, I emailed a VERY brief request for a strong letter of rec, and when they agreed I sent the CV/PS/ERAS form via email. Had to follow up with a couple admins to gently remind a couple of the attendings about the impending ERAS dates, but otherwise everything went off beautifully.

I requested all of my LORs via email, but also knew all of them very well. I did meet with a couple of them face to face - especially the chairman - but most I had worked with so much that it wasn't really necessary. For the rest, I emailed a VERY brief request for a strong letter of rec, and when they agreed I sent the CV/PS/ERAS form via email. Had to follow up with a couple admins to gently remind a couple of the attendings about the impending ERAS dates, but otherwise everything went off beautifully.
I just used their secretaries. Partly as a break from everything (secretaries are awesome to talk to sometimes) but also because they definitely helped in getting things I needed done.
Though I'll admit I'm guilty in spending more than 5 minutes helping one secretary get though a level of mine sweeper. Yes, mine sweeper. Lol

Reactions: 1 user