When is it too early to start job searching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SphereGlobe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My husband is a PGY-3 at a well-regarded academic dermatology program. Is it too early for him to start looking for jobs now this fall? He is interested in either academics or private practice - we are keeping our options open. When do people generally start searching?

I started searching early PGY-3. Some places may say they wont know about hiring for a year, but imo it's still smart to start early to build connections. That way they will call when a position opens up. Particularly important if you are looking for a specific geographic area.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My husband is a PGY-3 at a well-regarded academic dermatology program. Is it too early for him to start looking for jobs now this fall? He is interested in either academics or private practice - we are keeping our options open. When do people generally start searching?

It's the perfect time, I was very envious of those who had their job locked up by the time they started as PGY-4s

Depending on the location, as doctalaughs noted, they may not be looking out that far ahead of time. However, it is nice to introduce yourself and get your name in their memory banks when they are ready to hire.

On the other hand, if they are looking to lock you up right away, it gives you plenty of time to do your due diligence and then negotiate better terms :)