When is latest I can take Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratherbefishing

Name says it all.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current intern starting derm in July. Does Step 3 score need to be back before I start? I was going to take it in April, but early June works best with my schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it as soon as possible. Your program will determine that because your residency contract should state by what year you need it completed

Current intern starting derm in July. Does Step 3 score need to be back before I start? I was going to take it in April, but early June works best with my schedule.

Most residencies (outside of derm) just require completion by the end of residency. Though there have been multiple studies that demonstrate that (if you aren't an IM, EMed, or Family resident) it's better to take it earlier. o

Derm is program specific. Mine requires by end of the PGY-2 year, but honestly...do you want to take Step 3 during your derm PGY-2? Just take it in June. You'll be fine.

I agree with the others, I would check with your derm program. I believe it does vary, mine required a passing score before matriculating into the residency program.

Also doubly agree that the last thing you want to do is to load your plate with derm reading and Step 3 preparation!