When is the best time to update schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgbw46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent the last year hoping to get into medical school and working three (non-clinical) jobs to support the process. As such, between last year's application and my current application, not a lot changed. Since submitting my application, I begun several new clinical activities that I am eager to update the schools about - especially the ones that saw my application last year. With fears of being overlooked or cut in the short term, I am wondering when the best time to update schools would be.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your application has not changed, the only way to substantially improve your chances is to dramatically change strategy. Updates may or may not have any effect on those screening the application. Many schools do not accept them. The most powerful use of additions to an application are present at the time of submission.
Are you re-applying to a different list of schools?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your application has not changed, the only way to substantially improve your chances is to dramatically change strategy. Updates may or may not have any effect on those screening the application. Many schools do not accept them. The most powerful use of additions to an application are present at the time of submission.
Are you re-applying to a different list of schools?
Thanks for your reply - I've appreciated your thoughts on some other threads, and I'm glad to have them here now.

I applied to 24 schools this cycle, up from 17 last cycle. 9 of these were the repeats, including the 4 schools that interviewed me last year and another 4 who would consider my grades/ MCAT the most competitive. Of the schools I've applied to in this round - all but 5 of them accept updates through their portals or email. Considering that the additions to my application were not present at the time of submission, I'm curious as to what you'd consider a dramatic change in strategy.

Thanks for your reply - I've appreciated your thoughts on some other threads, and I'm glad to have them here now.

I applied to 24 schools this cycle, up from 17 last cycle. 9 of these were the repeats, including the 4 schools that interviewed me last year and another 4 who would consider my grades/ MCAT the most competitive. Of the schools I've applied to in this round - all but 5 of them accept updates through their portals or email. Considering that the additions to my application were not present at the time of submission, I'm curious as to what you'd consider a dramatic change in strategy.
If the initial strategy was the reason for last year's outcome, choosing schools more likely to interview you after addressing other deficiencies (clinical experience...) would be my recommendation. With 4 interviews, it's also possible that core competencies were not readily apparent in these evaluations.