when is the deadline to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicolesmine4sur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i'm not too familiar with applications to DO programs, but are the application deadlines similar to those of MD (november or December being the deadline to submit a primary)?

i'm thinking of wanting to apply to a few DO schools, but am not sure if it's too late. in general when is the latest i can apply? has the deadline already passed? any info will be great, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late for most schools to send in a primary. I believe the deadline for most schools in sometime in February or March. You will want to get your applications in as soon as you can though, because classes are filling up at this point.

http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/Instructions.aspx

I believe this is also on AACOMAS application for selecting schools. Your biggest hurdle is getting verified quickly enough because after Feb. 1, 2010, the list gets slim. If you're going to apply, I would suggest getting your AACOMAS finished and submitted ASAP.

Regardless, it's never too late (unless it's after April).

You probably don't want to hear this, but your best bet might be to wait till next cycle, if you can. It's going to be awhile before your primary gets verified if you haven't even started it yet. The list of schools that would still give you an interview after February or March and then still have seats open is going to be pretty slim.

I don't know your stats or your situation, but my advice would be to spend until June/July improving any deficits in your app and also get some DO shadowing/DO LOR. Apply to both AMCAS and AACOMAS early this summer. Next cycle, you'll have a better chance to pick schools that are a good fit, rather than get stuck at the only school that had open seats this late in the game. This might also save you some application $$$. Good luck.

Last edited: