When is the latest I can take the MCAT for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolinaGirl33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying during the 2015-2016 cycle and am trying to figure out whether I should register for the June 20 or July 18 exam. I was planning to have the rest of my application submitted as close as possible to the June 1 opening so that AAMC can start the verification process before the MCAT score is in. It takes about a month for the scores to come back with the new exam, correct? Is July 18 too late?

Members don't see this ad.

The release dates should be published. But yes, generally around 35 days. Google is your friend on this one.

If you are waiting for your scores to submit the application--do not take the July 18th one. I did, my MCAT scores got back, AMCAS took abnormally long to review, and my application was egregiously late. Either submit the primary application or take the earlier exam!

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically speaking, you can take the MCAT in september and still be considered for the following year. Each school has a specific MCAT date cutoff for the year so check for that. I believe it is better to take a late MCAT but receive a high score than to take an early MCAT and not do as well. It is definitely true that applying late will put you at a disadvantage, however, if your application is amazing, it will not really affect you as much as you think.

I can tell you I submitted my AMCAS on July 22 last year... Verified in August... Huge regret. It ended up ok for me in the end but I cannot emphasize the "apply early" mantra enough. Assuming you are well prepared, ideally you'd take it in May, but if that's not an option I would highly recommend June, then you can at least be complete in July. Also be sure to pre-write your secondaries while you wait for your primary to be verified, it will make the whole process much faster and much less overwhelming.

Of course, you should not take it until you are regularly scoring above your goal on practice tests. Best of luck to you OP.

I can tell you I submitted my AMCAS on July 22 last year... Verified in August... Huge regret. It ended up ok for me in the end but I cannot emphasize the "apply early" mantra enough. Assuming you are well prepared, ideally you'd take it in May, but if that's not an option I would highly recommend June, then you can at least be complete in July. Also be sure to pre-write your secondaries while you wait for your primary to be verified, it will make the whole process much faster and much less overwhelming.

Of course, you should not take it until you are regularly scoring above your goal on practice tests. Best of luck to you OP.

Does it make any difference if: If you submit your application but check the box that says you're waiting for an mcat score OR wait until you get your score and submit that day?

I've always been confused about this

Does it make any difference if: If you submit your application but check the box that says you're waiting for an mcat score OR wait until you get your score and submit that day?

I've always been confused about this

I'm also wondering about this. I want to apply when applications open with my current old MCAT score and write the new one in August for Canadian Schools. Is there anyway I can just ask US schools to use my old score and process everything?

I'm also wondering about this. I want to apply when applications open with my current old MCAT score and write the new one in August for Canadian Schools. Is there anyway I can just ask US schools to use my old score and process everything?

Hi! As for your question, the answer is yes
"Can I submit my AMCAS application without my MCAT scores?
Yes, AMCAS will verify and process your application without your MCAT scores. Once the scores are made available, AMCAS will upload your scores automatically into the application. If your application has already completed verification, AMCAS will send updates to the medical schools indicated in your application informing them of the update."

Last edited: