When is using "PharmD Candidate" appropriate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When is the use of "PharmD Candidate" appropriate

• Total voters

Caverject

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some debate about this. Some around here are calling themselves that and have yet to even matriculate. What do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh you like to stir stuff up, don't you, c-ject? Anyways, I always thought that a PharmD candidate was what you became after you finished your didactic course work and had started your intern/extern rotations. Can anyone give me more input?

Moxxie said:
Gosh you like to stir stuff up, don't you, c-ject? Anyways, I always thought that a PharmD candidate was what you became after you finished your didactic course work and had started your intern/extern rotations. Can anyone give me more input?
you're right as far as we're concerned here

Members don't see this ad :)
Moxxie said:
Anyways, I always thought that a PharmD candidate was what you became after you finished your didactic course work and had started your intern/extern rotations.

I agree :thumbup:

I agree with Moxie because historically that's when other d2b call themselves candidates. (i.e. after classes but before thesis, rotations, etc.)

KUMoose said:
I agree with Moxxie because historically that's when other d2b call themselves candidates. (i.e. after classes but before thesis, rotations, etc.)

That's what I was basing it off of... you're not called a PhD candidate until you've finished your coursework and have taken prelim exams.

It's a rite of passage, in my book.

I believe that you can call yourself that once your done with your didactic work. Less than a year left for me :) That being said, I had business cards made last year and they put PharmD candidate on there as I planned on using them throughout my career and wasn't going to get new ones.

The definition of a 'candidate' [cited from dictionary.com]
noun.
A person who seeks or is nominated for an office, prize, or honor.
A student who has nearly completed the requirements for a degree.
One that seems likely to gain a certain position or come to a certain fate: young actors who are candidates for stardom; a memorandum that is a good candidate for the trash can.

According to this you could argue that someone does not have to actually be in pharmacy school to be considered a PharmD candidate. Afterall, a presidential candidate does not mean they are going to be president; only that they are seeking that position. Although its also clear by the 2nd definition that the OP's argument is also valid...the question continues

Caverject said:
There seems to be some debate about this. Some around here are calling themselves that and have yet to even matriculate. What do y'all think?

In our program, we were required to sign all SOAP notes "your name, pharm.d candidate", and that started in our 2nd year.

Hey, can I buy you a drink? I'm a PharmD candidate....

;)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still a 3rd year student for another few weeks, but have been required to use PharmD Candidate when writing pharmacist notes to leave in the patient charts. So, it's not necessarily a 4th year student, but a student who has completed their coursework and is out on rotations.

Okay, if you look at the meaning of the word "candidate", it basically means someone who is working towards a specific goal, or is nominated towards a position, etc. If you look at it that way, then for example a political candidate:election as PharmD candidate:graduation. I think as long as you are accepted into a pharmacy program, you could probably call yourself a PharmD candidate, because you are declaring your intentions to obtain a certain position, degree, etc. I don't think that people that haven't been accepted to pharmacy school yet should call themselves PharmD candidates, just like a political candidate won't really be considered a candidate until he is nominated and his name is put on the ballot. :oops:
What do you guys think.
-Csillag

Caverject said:

At our school, it's a point of contention with the Ph.D. graduate students. In a Ph.D. program, you can call yourself Ph.D. candidate only after you've completed your didactic classes and passed your prelim or did your thesis prep. This is usually in the 3rd year of the graduate program. They thus do not like Pharm.D. students using Pharm.D. candidate, especially those who are merely 1st, 2nd, or 3rd years since they haven't accomplished enough to earn the title.

The APhA, ASHP, and basically every major national pharmacy organization encourage using the term "Student Pharmacist". Everyone at our school now has new name badges to put on our white coats with Student Pharmacist listed under our names. It's the term used in nursing school, Student Nurses, and even on this web site "Student Doctor". I didn't really think it was such a big deal until I was working at a hospital one day, and an irritable nurse looked at my name tag there and stressed pharmacy stuuuuudent to emphasize how lowly I am compared to her.

Sosumi said:
At our school, it's a point of contention with the Ph.D. graduate students. In a Ph.D. program, you can call yourself Ph.D. candidate only after you've completed your didactic classes and passed your prelim or did your thesis prep. This is usually in the 3rd year of the graduate program. They thus do not like Pharm.D. students using Pharm.D. candidate, especially those who are merely 1st, 2nd, or 3rd years since they haven't accomplished enough to earn the title.

The APhA, ASHP, and basically every major national pharmacy organization encourage using the term "Student Pharmacist". Everyone at our school now has new name badges to put on our white coats with Student Pharmacist listed under our names. It's the term used in nursing school, Student Nurses, and even on this web site "Student Doctor". I didn't really think it was such a big deal until I was working at a hospital one day, and an irritable nurse looked at my name tag there and stressed pharmacy stuuuuudent to emphasize how lowly I am compared to her.

You should have emphasized that you will only be a student for a while, but she will be a NUUUURRRSSSEEE forever. Haha, j/k. But where does she come off?

Csillag said:
Okay, if you look at the meaning of the word "candidate", it basically means someone who is working towards a specific goal, or is nominated towards a position, etc. If you look at it that way, then for example a political candidate:election as PharmD candidate:graduation. I think as long as you are accepted into a pharmacy program, you could probably call yourself a PharmD candidate, because you are declaring your intentions to obtain a certain position, degree, etc. I don't think that people that haven't been accepted to pharmacy school yet should call themselves PharmD candidates, just like a political candidate won't really be considered a candidate until he is nominated and his name is put on the ballot. :oops:
What do you guys think.
-Csillag
What do I think? I think this is an exact duplicate of my post!!! :confused:is there such a thing as plagiarism on this forum cause I think Csillag just ripped me off :smuggrin:

oops on second thought...never mind :D

Never. Unless you're writing a thesis, you're not a PharmD Candidate.

I believe that you can call yourself that once your done with your didactic work. Less than a year left for me :) That being said, I had business cards made last year and they put PharmD candidate on there as I planned on using them throughout my career and wasn't going to get new ones.

You plan to be a PharmD candidate for the rest of your career???? Are you planning to never graduate? Why not put pharmacist on the card, and then just write "in-training" underneath it?

Candidate? Im not running to be a pharmD like how donald trump is running for president. Also it sounds awful snobby. I never put PharmD after my name, ever. I prefer to be known as the nerdy kid that still loves call of duty and clash of clans

Reactions: 1 users
I always thought "PharmD candidate" was a bit presumptuous and snooty.

Reactions: 1 users