When life throws a wrench in your plans

nontradnyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an unusual opportunity where my low GPA and MCAT are being overlooked for my SMP performance (3.95+ GPA). However, this school is about a 5-6 hour drive from my partner of 5+ years. I was unable to get into any programs closer to my partner when I applied 2 cycles ago. My partner is not in a position to move any time soon due to work. But my question to you SDN-ers is, does a high master's GPA in the hard sciences compensate for low GPA AND low MCAT?

I just feel hopeless because I am giving up the life my partner and I dreamed of all so I can pursue my dream of practicing medicine. (e.g. I did not get into the post-bacc program closer to my partner that was best for me; we planned on getting married but now want to wait until we live closer to one another.) I understand that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush but I still wonder if there are any alternatives for me where I could still pursue medicine and be closer to my partner. Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated because I feel down about how intense the process of applying and getting into medical school has been and how it seems like I will have to really fight to have both my career and personal life.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, great job working your butt off in that SMP (grad school exams are CRAZY... I personally would have stayed in undergrad until I developed my efficient study and note-taking skills since med schools look at your GPA for each academic year).
But that hard work does not compensate for a low MCAT score.

Remember, it's not the end of the world if you're physically separated from your life partner.
And that you can love someone without being in love with him/her.
It's up to you to let yourself become a victim of the external world or not...
Just be grateful for the delayed gratification for when you guys do end up together, and enjoy the intensity and challenges ahead.

Life is beautiful if you open your eyes and look around more.

You should know that it's not your fault for the wrench (you tried your best), but it's your responsibility to save yourself from this "drowning" and improve yourself as a person from now on.

"The mind and spirit of man advance when he is tried by suffering... Look back to the times past and you will find that the greatest men have suffered most"

Last edited: