When Should I Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prairiepalmeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a huge lurker but finally have a question specifically related to myself.
I'm a junior this year and am a Biology major with minors in Advanced Science and Chemistry.

As far as pre-reqs are concerned, I've completed Bio 1 and Bio 2; Chem 1; and Physics 1. This semester, I'm enrolled in A&P and Microbiology (as far as science classes go). I currently have a 3.91 GPA not calculating in the 9 credits from Calc 1 and Bio 2. (I took those classes at community college). I'm currently working on finding a DO to shadow. I have fairly strong non medical EC's including student government, student ambassadors, RA, and various choirs. Last semester, I took a semester off of school in order to be a part of the Disney College Program. I spent a semester working at the Walt Disney World Resort.

I'm hoping to graduate on time, in spring 2015. I will also be taking the Orgo sequence next year. With that in mind, when will it be smartest for me to take the MCAT and apply? Also, I'm an Illinois resident who goes to school in Iowa. I'm most interested in DMU but know that the best med school is the one that accepts me :D. Any other words of wisdom or thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should try to take MCAT before it changes in 2015 and when you've finished your prereqs. Also, make sure you have time to study. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the MCAT this summer, apply June 1st 2014 for school year 2015

Wouldn't the MCAT be a bit difficult since the OP hasn't taken Organic Chemistry, Chem 2, or Physics 2 yet? Even if he takes Chem 2 or Physics 2 next semester (spring 2014) I don't know if the MCAT before Orgo is the best idea.

Wouldn't the MCAT be a bit difficult since the OP hasn't taken Organic Chemistry, Chem 2, or Physics 2 yet? Even if he takes Chem 2 or Physics 2 next semester (spring 2014) I don't know if the MCAT before Orgo is the best idea.

I know that I will be taking the MCAT after I complete organic chem and physics next semester. So like in late May/early June. Perhaps he was implying that the OP should follow some similar course?

As far as pre-reqs are concerned, I've completed Bio 1 and Bio 2; Chem 1; and Physics 1. This semester, I'm enrolled in A&P and Microbiology (as far as science classes go).

I'm hoping to graduate on time, in spring 2015. I will also be taking the Orgo sequence next year.

Thanks!!!

I know that I will be taking the MCAT after I complete organic chem and physics next semester. So like in late May/early June. Perhaps he was implying that the OP should follow some similar course?

Hm, I guess it's up to interpretation what the OP means by "taking the Orgo sequence next year." I took it to mean next school year, which means he would have seen zero organic chemistry by the time summer 2014 rolls around. :shrug:

My bad, I skimmed over that part. I was just answering in general as I felt the underlying questions were when to take the MCAT and when to apply in order to not have a gap year between undergrad and med school. If the OP waits until next year (the senior year) to take the MCAT before applying that will put a gap year in between schools.

Hm, I guess it's up to interpretation what the OP means by "taking the Orgo sequence next year." I took it to mean next school year, which means he would have seen zero organic chemistry by the time summer 2014 rolls around. :shrug:

Ooh, my bad. Hmm... you're right. The OP may have no choice but to take the new 2015 MCAT. If that's the case, OP, you should definitely hit up some psych courses.

good info,Take the MCAT this summer, apply June 1st 2014 for school year 2015.thanks
14.gif

OP, take the MCAT after you finish your prerequisite courses. You'll likely have to take the 2015 MCAT under your schedule. Take a research methods for Social Science class.

If you can get in Orgo I and Physics II before next summer I think a June MCAT would be a great time to take it. IMO, Orgo II isn't necessary (And I had a few Orgo II questions on mine, but figured them out just fine) and that way you can avoid being a guinea pig for the 2015 MCAT. I started studying in March for my June MCAT while taking classes and working and found it feasible.

This allowed me to be complete late July and I have gotten my interview invites just shortly after those who were complete in early June.

If you can get in Orgo I and Physics II before next summer I think a June MCAT would be a great time to take it. IMO, Orgo II isn't necessary (And I had a few Orgo II questions on mine, but figured them out just fine) and that way you can avoid being a guinea pig for the 2015 MCAT. I started studying in March for my June MCAT while taking classes and working and found it feasible.

This allowed me to be complete late July and I have gotten my interview invites just shortly after those who were complete in early June.
A lot of people say that about Orgo, but I got only O.Chem 2 questions and many practice tests require the knowledge. If you don't know how to do Carbonyl chemistry, you're putting yourself in a position where you might be hit hard.