When should i apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labiologie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently entering my senior year of undergrad and I am scheduled to take my OAT in mid-October. Is it going to be considered late to apply? I know that the application cycle begins July 1st but I want to apply after taking my OATs. Also, how long would it take to receive my OAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

When I took the OAT in 2009, the OAT score was released the same day. I remember posting the score all over my research lab that night.
Mid-October sounds just fine; I wouldn't think it would put you in any disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently entering my senior year of undergrad and I am scheduled to take my OAT in mid-October. Is it going to be considered late to apply? I know that the application cycle begins July 1st but I want to apply after taking my OATs. Also, how long would it take to receive my OAT score?

Remember that the OAT score for 2015 entry has to be from before August 31, 2014.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I took the OAT in 2009, the OAT score was released the same day. I remember posting the score all over my research lab that night.
Mid-October sounds just fine; I wouldn't think it would put you in any disadvantage.
thank you! Also, I was wondering if I am applying for the 2015-2016 cycle, it is alright to take my OAT in October 2014 right? The deadlines for submission of OAT scores are February 28.

I submitted my application mid-October (although I had written the OAT in July), and it turned out fine for me! You get your unofficial score immediately after writing the test, and then they release the official scores to the schools you listed in your OAT forms (not sure how long that takes though).

Also, I believe you can submit your applications without having written your OATs and still interview at some schools and receive acceptance which is conditional to your OAT scores. Although others will want to wait until they see your scores for the application to be complete. I THINK this is true, but not sure. You could always call the admissions offices for schools you are interested in applying to and ask what they recommend.