When Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Two Sides

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a summer course that ends at the beginning of July. It will boost my sgpa, so I don't want to mess my application up for primaries. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how much it would boost your sGPA. What is it now? And what do you think it would be after the classes?

My sgpa is like a 3.3 and it should be a 3.4 ish

Members don't see this ad :)
My sgpa is like a 3.3 and it should be a 3.4 ish

Hmm that's a tough call. 3.3 is right at the borderline of a low-tier to mid-tier DO school. A 3.4 will give you a good even into some of the more established ones. How's your MCAT score?

Will take it on May 14th. Let's say 505 for now (I know you can't predict it).

Will take it on May 14th. Let's say 505 for now (I know you can't predict it).

A 505 and a 3.3 will get you some interviews, but most likely you'll be stuck in the mid-tier and new DO school range. With a 3.4 and 505, you have a decent chance even into the more established ones.

In any case, with those stats, you should be able to get some interviews as long as you also have good EC's and apply early.

Would you recommend taking some more science courses over the summer?

Would you recommend taking some more science courses over the summer?

Are you trying to get into any DO school or you want to go to a more established one?

If you can absolutely be sure you can increase your sGPA, then retaking some courses will benefit.

Thanks for the input, man. I'll do my best with the mcat and courses. Do you know what I should aim for to have a chance there? On the phone, a rep said 500 on the mcat and 3.5 gpa. I don't know how accurate that is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input, man. I'll do my best with the mcat and courses. Do you know what I should aim for to have a chance there? On the phone, a rep said 500 on the mcat and 3.5 gpa. I don't know how accurate that is.

500 is definitely not going to cut it. RowanSOM, right across the river, has an average MCAT of 506. I would say aim for at least a 505-506.

505 mcat with a 3.4 gpa and 3.35 sgpa?

The average of PCOM's stats are higher than both your MCAT and GPA stats, so your chances of getting in are lower. If you have good EC's, then you will have a shot.

I mean what are the average stats

Look around in the PCOM specific thread. There are plenty of applicants who've been granted interviews posting their stats.

PCOM doesn't publicly post their stats online, but I have heard that their averages are around 3.5 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, and 28 MCAT.

http://www.pcom.edu/program-statistics/dashboards/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program statistics July 2015.pdf

PCOM did mention that their 2011 entering class had a 27 MCAT. Since it is going to be 2016, I would expect that MCAT score to be at least 28, perhaps even 29 now. I can tell you that PCOM did NOT grant me an interview with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and 31 MCAT (which is a 508.) I also applied very early - completed by end of July, and had TONS of EC's and a non-trad. I feel that they do have some regional bias. Also NJ resident.

Don't feel discouraged though. I've known people with lower stats than me get accepted into PCOM.

Last edited:
Thanks, man. I appreciate all the advice. Do you know what schools I'd be competitive for? Any mid to upper tier schools? Thanks!

Thanks, man. I appreciate all the advice. Do you know what schools I'd be competitive for? Any mid to upper tier schools? Thanks!

It would be very difficult to say without an MCAT score. I think there would be a much better picture after you get your score.

If you can get a high MCAT score (30+) I would say most of the mid-tier schools would love to have you with your GPA. You can probably get into upper tier DO schools too.

Since you're from NY, NYIT and Touro would be good DO schools. NYIT is considered one of the top tier DO schools.

I took online courses, so nyitcom is out the window. Is a 505 good for a few top tiers?

I took online courses, so nyitcom is out the window. Is a 505 good for a few top tiers?

It should be fine but you might not get interviewed until later in the cycle. You'll need to get higher than 505 if you want that spot right away. I heard that NYIT changed their policy on online courses, so it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Thank, man. You've been very helpful. I'll contact them, and destroy the mcat.