When should I begin prepping for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWayman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been a lurker on here and this is my first post. Please stay with me.

I have an A.A.S EMS degree, I am a Paramedic, and I am in my first semester as a pre-med student. My advisor has projected that I will finish pre-requisite and obtain my bachelors degree by the end of 2018. I am currently in Gen Chem 1 and will start Chem 2 next semester along with trig and a few other classes. I am just beginning this process and much of what I know about the process comes from other pre-med students, this application and google (lol).

I am looking for advice on when to start studying for the MCAT.

And any advice on what to expect, how to prepare, and anything in general will be extremely helpful.

I am working my tail off to improve my GPA, I am currently setting at 3.11 (which is up from .12 because I made bad choices as a new college student).

Thank you for all of your help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say since you have already started thinking about the MCAT you can really start to build a solid foundation so when it comes time to facing this beast you can worry little about the content and more about the practice! Are you going to be taking the MCAT during your junior year? My one piece of advice is to make sure to take Biochemistry before the MCAT since that seems to be the thing most people miss because its a higher level science.

Honestly the "year" thing is kind of tricky. I believe I am a sophomore technically but per my transcript I am a senior (I major hoped a couple times, letting other people dictate my choices) I am scheduled to take biochem next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well to give the most general advice I'd say it doesnt hurt to start building that foundation now and once it comes time to take the MCAT give yourself 3-6 months of solid studying/practicing using any resource you'd like. In order of density for the prep companies I have seen it'd be TBR>TPR>Kaplan>EK. But make sure to do as many practice passages and FLs as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems you still have what a year or two before you apply to medical school? Just focus on getting good grades to bring your gpa up. Start studying for your mcat hard 3-6 months before you take it depending on how much time you can dedicate to it. Also you should change your profile picture to remain anonymous. Lastly just lurk on these forums for a few months and you'll understand what you need to do to be successful.