When should i finish pre-reqs by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yihaej12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post? I tried searching for this similar question but could not find anything relevant...

So, my question is if schools list a class as a pre-req, are they implying those courses should be completed prior to application? Or before graduation?

And if I dont need to take it before submitting my application....when they do review my application, will I be at a disadvantage compared to other applicants who have already completed the pre-reqs?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Finish all prereqs before you start DS.

I think they're implying that you should get it completed prior to graduation, although some schools allow you to complete a few pre-requisites in the summer time before entering dental school (look it up--different policy for every school, some allow pre-reqs to be finished in the spring, other schools only accept your pre-reqs and classes to be complete in the summer). However, let's say you only have a few pre-reqs not completed (biochemistry, statistics), you'll be fine, as long as you put that you're going to be in the process of taking it in the fall or spring. However, if you have 4-5 uncompleted pre-reqs, you may or may not look less competitive. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, it really helped clarify things!
Also, how would the schools know whether or not
I'm going to be completing some classes after my application? Will they ask for another transcript?

Yeah, so let's say you apply this summer, you're required to submit in an official transcript to ADEA, and after fall semester, you have to turn in another transcript to have an academic update. If you get accepted into a dental school, then you're required to send in a final transcript to that particular school after your spring semester is over. If you're taking summer classes, I think you'll have to turn in your final transcript probably sometime in July

Reactions: 1 user
Ohh okay thanks so much!
Yeah, so let's say you apply this summer, you're required to submit in an official transcript to ADEA, and after fall semester, you have to turn in another transcript to have an academic update. If you get accepted into a dental school, then you're required to send in a final transcript to that particular school after your spring semester is over. If you're taking summer classes, I think you'll have to turn in your final transcript probably sometime in July
hhh