When should I fix my teeth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to start dental school next year and I'm curious if anyone thinks it's worthwhile to get a head start on starightening my teeth now. They're not excessively crooked, mostly just one tooth (#2) that's obviously out of line. I have insurance and would only need to pay $650 for my treatment. Should I wait till I start school to get a better deal? Would it be free in school? And if I do start now, would it be easy for someone to take over my care since I would be losing my insurance then? It's estimated I need 2 yrs treatment.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to start dental school next year and I'm curious if anyone thinks it's worthwhile to get a head start on starightening my teeth now. They're not excessively crooked, mostly just one tooth (#2) that's obviously out of line. I have insurance and would only need to pay $650 for my treatment. Should I wait till I start school to get a better deal? Would it be free in school? And if I do start now, would it be easy for someone to take over my care since I would be losing my insurance then? It's estimated I need 2 yrs treatment.

Are you talking about tooth #2 in the Universal Numbering System or Palmer Notation. If you are talking about tooth #2 as in your upper right 2nd molar, it might not be the most crucial thing to treat right now unless it's a functional problem. If you are talking about #2 as a lateral incisor, and it's really an eye-sore, then esthetically, it might be advantageous for you to start Tx now. Generally ortho Tx is not free for students in dental school (many other things are), but often there are some discounts (usually not too substantial). Ultimately, it is up to you, but if you fall under insurance now, and you don't mind being all bonded up during dental school, i would do it now. It's also a nice learning tool for a new dental student to have braces. Best of luck with your decision!

$650 is really cheap so if you can swing that with your insurance and the orthodontist, that would be a good value. However, keep in mind you're going to need monthly adjustments and monitoring of your progress for the next two years. Most orthodontists won't touch someone else's work, so unless you'll be attending dental school in the same town, it might not work out.