When should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutie123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 OOS waitlists and 3 IS waitlist.....
No job, No house, and I have been living in my car since July of last year.
I have too much credit debt to reapply for next cycle.

When should give up on those waitlists?

Members don't see this ad.

Send each school a letter of interest. Don't withdraw from any, stick it out and hope for the best. In preparation for the worst, you need to find a job, now is not the time to be picky. This is really tough, I can't believe you've been in your car for almost a year. Do you have any other relatives or friends you could stay with? Six interviews is a lot.. How do you think they went? It may be helpful if you gave us more info about your app (stats/ EC's).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This had better not be a troll, 'cause this isn't something to kid about and **** around with. (Just had to put that out there.)

Oh my. How did you get through the winter?
I purchased a year pass at a local gym before all these bad thing happened to me. I shower, wash my clothes and use locker

This had better not be a troll, 'cause this isn't something to kid about and **** around with. (Just had to put that out there.)
I wish I was trolling. I didn't expect any of these to happen to me...

Send each school a letter of interest. Don't withdraw from any, stick it out and hope for the best. In preparation for the worst, you need to find a job, now is not the time to be picky. This is really tough, I can't believe you've been in your car for almost a year. Do you have any other relatives or friends you could stay with? Six interviews is a lot.. How do you think they went? It may be helpful if you gave us more info about your app (stats/ EC's).
I called one of the school, and they told me my interview was is the MAJOR room to improve my application

The answer is never. Never give up. Keep sending your schools updates and write a heartfelt letter of intent. Also, get yourself to a shelter or some kind of halfway house so that you have a roof over your head. I'm sorry this happened, if it really did happen to you.

Good luck man, medicine is currently in dire need of people like you. People who actually had to overcome adversity.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm about to be in a similar situation if a job doesn't materialize very quickly, so I empathize. Nothing makes the job security inherent in being a physician as appealing as spending months to years trying to find a simple job to no avail.

I don't really have any advice other than that there would be no point in giving up. I hope you make it. :)

I wish I was trolling. I didn't expect any of these to happen to me...
Yeah didn't expect you to be, but just wanted to threaten any dingus who would treat this as a joke just in case.

hqdefault.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
I called one of the school, and they told me my interview was is the MAJOR room to improve my application

So it seems like you got to the interview stage successfully (6 interviews is good), but then didn't do very well in the actual interview? Luckily, this is not a huge problem for most people and is something you can fix relatively quickly (as opposed to a low MCAT or lack of clinical experience). If you end up having to reapply, come back to SDN and seek advice on interviewing and how to practice and prepare. Going into interviews unprepared or without much practice can result in disaster. So come back here if needed, we would be happy to help. If you need to take some time off to work and save money before reapplying, then so be it. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Also, like others said, definitely apply for FAP (Fee Assistance Program) if you need to reapply again. It will save you a lot of money.

For now, be proactive with the schools that have wait listed you (but don't be annoying). Send each one a meaningful letter of interest. These aren't always effective, but they can sometimes help, so it's worth a shot. I wish you the best of luck.

If u ain't no troll, I would recommend looking into other professional schools like optometry and podiatry

If u ain't no troll, I would recommend looking into other professional schools like optometry and podiatry

Why? Six interviews means his/her application is most likely good enough for medicine. I think what's lacking are the interview skills, which can probably be improved with practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Why don't you get a job?

I think you guys may be missing a huge point here. If you're worried about a place to live....its going to be really hard to do anything else.

That means its going to be very difficult to give it your all for a med school interview. I truly, sincerely hope one of these waitlists works out for you. If for some reason it doesn't....I'd suggest trying to get some general life things in order first. Getting some stability will help you mentally and emotionally which will help you in all other areas in your life.

Reactions: 4 users
Why don't you get a job?

in todays economy a job at Wendys may be hard to come by ( depending on the area). But a lot of pre-meds live a sheltered life style and come from households making 100k+ a year and simply don't understand real life issues....

Reactions: 9 users
Why don't you get a job?

My thoughts exactly - how could you go on this long without a job or a house? You could tutor high school kids general chemistry for 10-20$/hour and afford somewhere to live... You could've gotten a position at McDonalds flipping burger. What are you doing with your free time? Are you still in school? How did you afford tuition based on your situation? How on earth will you be approved for certain loans (that requires credit scores) if you are racking up debt? How much debt will you accumulate?

Maybe you should take a year or two off and sort your life out before jumping into med school :O Seems too overwhelming right now.

in todays economy a job at Wendys may be hard to come by ( depending on the area). But a lot of pre-meds live a sheltered life style and come from households making 100k+ a year and simply don't understand real life issues....
This. I've applied to easily 100 jobs over the past few months. I have the "Thank you for your application" and "After review, we have chosen someone better qualified for the position" emails to prove it, as well as the mountains of paperwork from the career fairs I've attended. Hell, Ryan's, the all you can eat buffet, sent me an email letting me know they found someone more qualified than me to fill people's drinks and ask them how everything is blah blah blah. I empathize a lot with the OP because of my similar situation. It's really difficult to be a dedicated pre-med student/med school applicant when the fact that you're not sure how you're going to afford groceries is always at the back of your mind. I did pretty poorly on my last chem exam by my standards (a B-). I was lightheaded during it. My blood sugar was too low because I had just paid rent and didn't have money for food. It's a completely different ballgame when you're concerned with basic survival.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
What area are you in maybe I can recommend you

That's the point. He sounds like a troll.

Just because he doesn't have rich parents to get him out of every jam doesn't make him a troll...

Reactions: 6 users
Try edjoin.org

If u have a bachelors you should be able to find a fulltime job making 11-18/hr at a school district ranging from instructional aids to office assistants

Try edjoin.org

If u have a bachelors you should be able to find a fulltime job making 11-18/hr at a school district ranging from instructional aids to office assistants
Thank you for sharing this resource. I'm going to see if I can find something as well, although I imagine it's doubtful given that schools are in session from 8 a.m. to 3ish, in other words when I'm in class.

Thank you for sharing this resource. I'm going to see if I can find something as well, although I imagine it's doubtful given that schools are in session from 8 a.m. to 3ish, in other words when I'm in class.

Try finding a job tutoring at charter schools that have night hours
I know for the summer session my school will be open from 4pm-7pm for math tutoring

If I wasn't already maxed 8 hours per day I would have loved to work more

When I was in undergrad I worked in the dining hall ain't no shame flipping burgers when you're in college

Oh and try to attend as many of those seminars,tech talks, events that offer free food

Should happen at least 2x a week at a public undergrad with frats/sororities and premed societies at the very least

Try finding a job tutoring at charter schools that have night hours
I know for the summer session my school will be open from 4pm-7pm for math tutoring

If I wasn't already maxed 8 hours per day I would have loved to work more
Thanks. That link said there weren't any jobs found in my area, but maybe I can find something another way. I hope the OP is able to find something great. :)

If you quit now all your effort will be wasted. Draw out a plan OP. I now its so much easier said then done. Take a year off in application cycles and find a way to get a cheap place and a stable job.

Stable job = any job. That might even mean sweat equity, doing manual labor. If you keep at it, and save up then you can apply next cycle and have something amazing in terms of overcoming adversity.

Also keep faith in this cycle, but do not give up. What would be the point if you gave up now? Should have gave up before when it was easy, tough times don't last tough people do brah.

my 2 cents...

edit: if you need quick cash , this is just an idea...

I did this in my summer, started with 10$ and made up 7-5$ G's profit by husslin at garage sales, thrift stores, and craiglist. Reselling the stuff on eBay. You won't believe the deals you can get if you get to estate/garage/yard sales early in the morning in wealthy neighborhoods. I'm talking almost 300-500$ profit on some days, however -50$-100$ somedays as well.

I still smell troll.........what was the plan to pay off that outstanding debt once in med school, where more debt is required? :confused: How is OP making interest payments with no job of any sort? Unless friends are being nice?

I still smell troll.........what was the plan to pay off that outstanding debt once in med school, where more debt is required? :confused: How is OP making interest payments with no job of any sort? Unless friends are being nice?

He was probably going to take out the max allowed medschool loans and live off that and worry about paying debt later

He was probably going to take out the max allowed medschool loans and live off that and worry about paying debt later
This is my plan, assuming I make it to med school. I thought most people did it this way anyway.

quit projectin brah. I've been FAPing my whole life

If you live in a car for a year you need to work harder than going on monster.com. Get off your ass and get a job. The homeless I volunteer with are even working jobs.

there are always jobs in retail... it's just that even the burger flippers don't want them

the ONLY good thing about living in your car is that you don't have anything tying you to one place, and you have a method of transportation, so if you are living somewhere that there's no jobs, you can go somewhere else where you'll be more likely to find both a job and housing

This is my plan, assuming I make it to med school. I thought most people did it this way anyway.

Yea thats my plan as while. the average family income of someone going to med school is 100k+. So the kids on here don't understand that people who come from poor families carry around there undergrad debt and any credit card debt throughout med school and residency.

I sincerely thank you for the people who supported me.

Here are the answers to the questions to people who think I am a troll.
-I don't have a real job but I do tutor local college kids sometime
-I defer the loan payments for a year, and I don't need to pay credit card interest for a year due to a balance transfer promotion
-I am planing to pay my debt with medical school loan

Honestly, I am not mad at the people who called me a troll. If I saw my own post written by someone else last year, I would have said the same thing...
I had been living in a sheltered life till last year. My father did make 200k +a last year. My life style changed so suddenly that I have difficulty getting things straight.

I well understand that my true intention for this post is not to find answers but to find confirmations that I shouldn't give up.

If you are in serious debt, you need to find employment. Even in a tough economy, someone with 6 interviews must be a stellar student and should have skills/experiences necessary to find some type of employment. What is all the debt from?

You prob can't apply with FAP because your parents make too much money (this happened to me).

OP seems like a troll.

Scribe jobs are a dime a dozen and they take you instantly. Just apply to a couple.

No I meant his current debts. How is he paying his CURRENT credit card and undergrad interest payments if he has no job and no income of any sort? If he's out of school, payments for both of those have already started. How can he be paying debts off now, and what was the plan to keep paying those debts off after he takes on MORE debt for med school?

See why I suspect troll?

Edit: nvm saw the explanations of interest deferrals.

Last edited:
If you are in serious debt, you need to find employment. Even in a tough economy, someone with 6 interviews must be a stellar student and should have skills/experiences necessary to find some type of employment. What is all the debt from?

You prob can't apply with FAP because your parents make too much money (this happened to me).

OP seems like a troll.

My parents 'DID' made 200k. Now they don't.

My parents make a combined 20k a year and I don't live out of my car. I work my ass off every day at my job though and I get by. I receive zero support from my family, it's possible to survive.

My parents 'DID' made 200k. Now they don't.
IIRC FAP takes the most recent tax data into account though, so if your parents made 200k last year then you still wouldn't qualify.

My parents make a combined 20k a year and I don't live out of my car. I work my ass off every day at my job though and I get by. I receive zero support from my family, it's possible to survive.
Yeah I know... It is just so sudden change....