When should I start my AMCAS application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angie_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!,

I am new on here, I am a Pre-med undergrad junior year, I know this question may be answered on thousands of other places on the internet, but i wanted to know straight from other pre-meds exactly when should I start my application process? and if I start will i be able to come back to it every so often until its ready for submission or does it not work like that?

Thanks Angie_MD (nickname)

Members don't see this ad.

If you were planning on applying this year, it's really too late for someone who has not even begun an AMCAS application.

AMCAS opens around May 1 every year. You can work on it and save your work. The first day you can submit changes every year, but usually it's within the first week of June.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there!,

I am new on here, I am a Pre-med undergrad junior year, I know this question may be answered on thousands of other places on the internet, but i wanted to know straight from other pre-meds exactly when should I start my application process? and if I start will i be able to come back to it every so often until its ready for submission or does it not work like that?

For 2016? You can't start until May 2015.

For 2015? Holy crap! If you get it done ASAP you may be okay, but it would have been better to submit it weeks ago. It takes a few weeks to be processed at this point, which is going to delay when schools get it. Earlier is better, since seats fill up. You will have a better shot at more competitive schools by applying early for 2016 than you will at this point in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can fill in a lot of info in this years application that will carry forward into next year's app, if that is what you are asking. I don't think that coursework carries over, but demographics do.

It's not too late to complete it for this year as long as you dedicate yourself to finishing it in the next week or two.

Oh okay, thanks for the reply guys! well as a junior am I looking to submit it now? I haven't taken the MCAT yet and I plan to in the spring, when do premeds actually start sending out there amcas apps for med schools, is it not only for senior year?

Oh okay, thanks for the reply guys! well as a junior am I looking to submit it now? I haven't taken the MCAT yet and I plan to in the spring, when do premeds actually start sending out there amcas apps for med schools, is it not only for senior year?

Spend some time reading the forums and the AAMC website to get familiar with the process, it sounds like you're not familiar with the timeline.

You will not be applying this year if you are not taking the MCAT until the spring. Thus, if you plan to apply next year for the entering class of 2016 (graduating class of 2020), you will start working on AMCAS when it opens in May 2015.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to take the MCAT now if you want to apply this cycle.

Read the AMCAS site for an overview of the process. At this point you're looking at applying next year for fall 2016 entry.

You need to take the MCAT now if you want to apply this cycle.
Even if (s)he gets a sparkling score, it really wouldn't matter because it would take weeks to get verified, secondaries, etc. putting (him/her) at a huge disadvantage. If you're a junior come September, then you would start your application next May 1st, submit on the first (few) days and then receive secondaries, etc.

Do you have any clinical experience/community service/physician shadowing? It sounds to me you are not aware of a lot of things. Do you know that you can't just take MCAT without studying for it first? Are you aware you will be taking a new version of MCAT come Spring?

I would agree with the above posters. I would highly suggest taking advantage of this last month of summer to start studying for the MCAT (assuming you have added free time). The MCAT is changing next year so you may want to squeeze in a test date before the change, however, don't rush it. Take it when you are ready.

Do you have any clinical experience/community service/physician shadowing? It sounds to me you are not aware of a lot of things. Do you know that you can't just take MCAT without studying for it first? Are you aware you will be taking a new version of MCAT come Spring?
I am VERY aware that I have to study for the MCAT in fact I have been, and I am also aware that I need all of those things in which I have been doing already, I was just a little confused about the timeline and needed some reassurance in which I should began my application process. Not only that, but I have been doing sufficient amount of research in the pre medical process at this point, I did say that I am a junior as an undergrad so I hope that will answer your questions as to whether or not I have been studying for what seems like a test that I should be studying for without a doubt and that there will be a new one in 2015 in which I already have my social science pre reqs for, but when I say spring I am talking January 2015 (undergrad terms) and this to my understanding is going to be the regular MCAT that is now and will be changing after.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with the above posters. I would highly suggest taking advantage of this last month of summer to start studying for the MCAT (assuming you have added free time). The MCAT is changing next year so you may want to squeeze in a test date before the change, however, don't rush it. Take it when you are ready.
Thank you :) yes when I say spring I mean jan 2015 in which the MCAT will be the same before the change, although I have the social sciences pre reqs for the new one as well,

Even if (s)he gets a sparkling score, it really wouldn't matter because it would take weeks to get verified, secondaries, etc. putting (him/her) at a huge disadvantage. If you're a junior come September, then you would start your application next May 1st, submit on the first (few) days and then receive secondaries, etc.
well since my past semester which was the spring semester, I have been a junior, so by next fall although I will be a junior my credits after that into the spring I would be considered a senior, see this is why i was just needing some guidance on this I don't have the best ad visor at this point :( so ive been doing alot of research on my own and I just wanted to make sure I was moving in the right direction

You can fill in a lot of info in this years application that will carry forward into next year's app, if that is what you are asking. I don't think that coursework carries over, but demographics do.
Coursework did carry from 2014 to 2015, along with demographic info. The activities entries did not. Eh, one of the things I wish I did not know.

well since my past semester which was the spring semester, I have been a junior, so by next fall although I will be a junior my credits after that into the spring I would be considered a senior, see this is why i was just needing some guidance on this I don't have the best ad visor at this point :( so ive been doing alot of research on my own and I just wanted to make sure I was moving in the right direction

Hanging out here will help you get ahead of the game. Just don't let anyone make you feel like you can't go to medical school if you don't have a 4.0 and a 40 MCAT. There are a lot of people here who either have great stats or claim to, and it can make people feel inferior, even if their applications are above average.

I actually learned a lot myself from reading the "funny quotes from less informed premeds" thread. All 100+ pages of it. Reading dumb mistakes that other people have made helps me not make them myself.

I'd also suggest thinking about what you want to do on your gap year. That is also important.

I'd also suggest thinking about what you want to do on your gap year. That is also important.

I may have misunderstood, but I think OP is a rising junior and therefore won't be having a gap year if she applies next cycle.

Hey there!,

I consider myself a (rising) sophomore now, even if I have enough credits for Junior standing. So, if that's the case, then OP is not going to be taking a gap year.

OP, you said you would take your MCAT in January. After that, you'll get your scores back within a month or so, which will let you know which schools you are competitive for. You will need to submit a primary application, which opens in May to allow you to work on it, but cannot be submitted until June, when submission opens. The primary application includes a personal statement and your "work/activities," which is basically a fleshed out version of your resume or CV. Three of these work/activities you can mark as most meaningful and write short essays about the significance they hold for you. Once you submit this primary applications to schools that you select/will have to pay to apply to, you will wait to be verified. This can take up to 8 weeks, depending on when you submit. Submitting later in the cycle puts you at a disadvantage because less interview spots are available and it takes longer to be verified. After you are verified, the schools you applied to will begin to send you secondaries, which are school specific essay prompts. These secondaries will cost even more money. Schools will generally expect you to return these secondaries relatively quickly. After receiving them, schools will begin to offer you interviews (hopefully!). If you apply in June 2015, you may not know until March, April, or May where you are going. It may even be later than that -- there are people who get off waitlists in July and start in August! I hope that clears things up -- I know the process can be intimidating! Good luck!

I consider myself a (rising) sophomore now, even if I have enough credits for Junior standing. So, if that's the case, then OP is not going to be taking a gap year.

There's a guy who started school the same year as me and he keeps on telling people that he is a junior (by credits, but he doesn't say that) and it's driving me nuts :mad: it's not like he is on track to graduate in 3 years

He also tells people that he is a Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience major, which isn't even offered at my school :uhno:

exactly,you are correct, a gap year for me right now is unrealistic in a sense that once I graduate ill be either waiting on interviews or acceptance letters hopefully by that time

There's a guy who started school the same year as me and he keeps on telling people that he is a junior (by credits, but he doesn't say that) and it's driving me nuts :mad: it's not like he is on track to graduate in 3 years

He also tells people that he is a Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience major, which isn't even offered at my school :uhno:
well that's a bit strange to be a junior and not on track to graduate sooner than 3 years? sounds fishy to me, I have 1 more year left literally

OP, you said you would take your MCAT in January. After that, you'll get your scores back within a month or so, which will let you know which schools you are competitive for. You will need to submit a primary application, which opens in May to allow you to work on it, but cannot be submitted until June, when submission opens. The primary application includes a personal statement and your "work/activities," which is basically a fleshed out version of your resume or CV. Three of these work/activities you can mark as most meaningful and write short essays about the significance they hold for you. Once you submit this primary applications to schools that you select/will have to pay to apply to, you will wait to be verified. This can take up to 8 weeks, depending on when you submit. Submitting later in the cycle puts you at a disadvantage because less interview spots are available and it takes longer to be verified. After you are verified, the schools you applied to will begin to send you secondaries, which are school specific essay prompts. These secondaries will cost even more money. Schools will generally expect you to return these secondaries relatively quickly. After receiving them, schools will begin to offer you interviews (hopefully!). If you apply in June 2015, you may not know until March, April, or May where you are going. It may even be later than that -- there are people who get off waitlists in July and start in August! I hope that clears things up -- I know the process can be intimidating! Good luck!
Thanks this helps alot!

exactly,you are correct, a gap year for me right now is unrealistic in a sense that once I graduate ill be either waiting on interviews or acceptance letters hopefully by that time

If you are a junior now (and don't confuse us with your credit standing), then:

1) You can take MCAT in January 2015. Make sure to not take a heavy course load this upcoming fall as you will need to study for MCAT. You will get your score about 30 days after you sit the test and if you are unhappy you will still be able to retake it (which will be a new version) without having to take a gap year.
2) You will submit your AMCAS first week of June 2015 and you will be filling out secondaries in the summer. You will interview in the Fall of your senior year (2015) and will hopefully receive acceptances; if not, then you may also receive them in the Spring of 2016, especially if you get accepted from wait-lists. You can start filling out AMCAS in May 2015.
3) You need to arrange your LORs or Committee Letter to be ready in June.
4) Graduating a semester early will not benefit you in any way.

I hope this helps for your planning.

PS. The guy I mentioned is really a sophomore in terms that it's his second year and yes he will graduate in 3 more years, but I meant that he won't graduate in 3 years overall.

1) You can take MCAT in January 2015. Make sure to not take a heavy course load this upcoming fall as you will need to study for MCAT. You will get your score about 30 days after you sit the test and if you are unhappy you will still be able to retake it (which will be a new version) without having to take a gap year.
2) You will submit your AMCAS first week of June 2015 and you will be filling out secondaries in the summer. You will interview in the Fall of your senior year (2015) and will hopefully receive acceptances; if not, then you may also receive them in the Spring of 2016, especially if you get accepted from wait-lists. You can start filling out AMCAS in May 2015.

PS. The guy I mentioned is really a sophomore in terms that it's his second year and yes he will graduate in 3 more years, but I meant that he won't graduate in 3 years overall.

It's really confusing when people go by the credits standing instead of actual years on college. But, if she's a rising junior, then the timeline makes sense. But if she's already a junior, and going to be graduating in a year, then she'd need a gap year because it's far too late to apply. I don't understand how we even got to this confusion of whether OP is a junior/senior/whatever haha

I may have misunderstood, but I think OP is a rising junior and therefore won't be having a gap year if she applies next cycle.
You're right. I read that OP had just finished junior year. My bad.

well that's a bit strange to be a junior and not on track to graduate sooner than 3 years? sounds fishy to me, I have 1 more year left literally
Although this suggests OP is a senior? I'm very confused.

Yes this actually helps a lot! I will use this as my timeline thank you, I matches perfectly with my situation!