When should I submit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James105

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 6 in a subsection on the mcat. I am planning to retake in july. I will be able to use the FAP to apply to 14 schools for free. I already know my top two (instate) picks but i want to apply to other fav schools so that my application will be in early and then the school can wait on an updated mcat. my concern is that i will be immediatly rejected due to my low subsection score. these are the schools i am considering; let me know if i should wait on a paticular school so that i dont get screened out of the process...thanks

VCU
Howard
GW
Creighton
LSU-NO
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Rosalind
Loylola
Hofstra
Meharry
SLU
Tulane

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So I got a 6 in a subsection on the mcat. I am planning to retake in july. I will be able to use the FAP to apply to 14 schools for free. I already know my top two (instate) picks but i want to apply to other fav schools so that my application will be in early and then the school can wait on an updated mcat. my concern is that i will be immediatly rejected due to my low subsection score. these are the schools i am considering; let me know if i should wait on a paticular school so that i dont get screened out of the process...thanks

VCU
Howard
GW
Creighton
LSU-NO
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Rosalind
Loylola
Hofstra
Meharry
SLU
Tulane

Thanks
You might consider applying early in June, but only listing a few of the less-selective schools so you can get verified quickly, and marking your final MCAT retake date on the AMCAS application. If the retake score is more competitive, you can add more schools and the entire application will be sent to them within one business day. If your new score is not as competitive as you'd wish, you need not add more schools.

Thanks Cat! I am mostly interested in determining which schools to apply to now. My main concern is that my app will be tossed into the burn pile before i take the second mcat. Would that happen? Should I avoid applying to schools that have a screening process for the secondary to avoid that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you have a VS of 8 on a previous MCAT? If so, that gives reasonable hope that you can get it higher on another retake. But if not, then you'd want to apply only to schools with a low bottom tenth percentile for VS, per the MSAR.

Theoretically, schools would hold your application for consideration until the final MCAT score is reported.

What is your plan if you get another 6? Would you apply to DO schools where a VS of 6 is less of a handicap? Or would you wait a year, retake the MCAT after more intense study, and try again next year?

Great advice! If I blew another exam, I would wait a to re-take, reapply MD and apply DO

In that case, it might not be in your best interest to apply everywhere blind not knowing the score, and then if it's low again, be a reapplicant to the same schools the following year. Reapplicants are expected to have made significant improvements in their activities and stats.