When should I take Step 2 CK and CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorobvious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rising MS4 trying to figure out when to take Step 2 CK and CS. I have 8/11-9/22 off from rotations, and I'm planning on using this time to study and work on ERAS. I have two options:

1) Step 2 CK on 9/17, Step 2 CS on 9/20 (3 days later)
2) Step 2 CK on 9/20, Step 2 CS on 12/20 (3 months later)

Advantage of #2 is more time to study for CK (extra 3 days, for a total of about 6 weeks). Disadvantage is putting off CS until December during interview season, which might be hectic.

What do you guys think? I'm applying into internal medicine BTW.

Members don't see this ad.

Rising MS4 trying to figure out when to take Step 2 CK and CS. I have 8/11-9/22 off from rotations, and I'm planning on using this time to study and work on ERAS. I have two options:

1) Step 2 CK on 9/17, Step 2 CS on 9/20 (3 days later)
2) Step 2 CK on 9/20, Step 2 CS on 12/20 (3 months later)

Advantage of #2 is more time to study for CK (extra 3 days, for a total of about 6 weeks). Disadvantage is putting off CS until December during interview season, which might be hectic.

What do you guys think? I'm applying into internal medicine BTW.
If you're an AMG isn't the general rule of thumb that it doesnt matter when you take CS as long as you do it before Match/beginning residency?

Without knowing how you did on step 1 and how you did on your shelf exams, I can't say how long you will need to study for CK, but in all honesty, 3 days won't make much of a difference. The real question is whether or not you want to take CS 3 days after CK. In addition, you shouldn't have much interference with interviews if you take CS that close to Christmas.