When Should You Decline An Admissions Offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dbate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it is acceptable to decline an offer of admission?

I was initially choosing between two schools and I have finalized my choice. I know May 15th is the deadline, but can we decline earlier.

Also, how do you decline an offer of admission? Is there a button on the AMCAS application to do that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just shoot admissions an email saying you're withdrawing your app.

Sent from my phone.

You can decline at any stage. Just email the school and tell them politely that you would like to withdraw your application. I think if you know for sure you won't go to the other school you have an acceptance from, it would be noble to decline the offer now.

One thing you may want to do first, though, before withdrawing from the other school, is calling/emailing your top choice and letting them know you plan on matriculating. They may have an "intent to matriculate" form or something you should fill out. Also that way you can rest assured that you're all set to matriculate and there will be no surprises in the fall. Just my nervous pre-med instinct kicking in here ;)

Congratulations!

EDIT: there's no way to decline or accept offers via AMCAS

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just shoot admissions an email saying you're withdrawing your app.

Sent from my phone.

Some of the schools also have withdraw buttons in their secondaries. Not all, though.

Thanks for all the input! I will do so now.

somewhere in the United States, a waitlisted applicant is crying tears of joy
Nice, it looks like someone is going to get an awesome call from Baylor!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on making a final decision!

somewhere in the United States, a waitlisted applicant is crying tears of joy
Unless Baylor, like most medical schools, over-accepts on the statistical assumption that a certain percentage will decline an acceptance. Then the wait list won't budge an inch.

I'm personally waiting for financial aid info from both of my schools before I tell either one what's up. No idea if holding multiple acceptances will having any bearing but it can't hurt my chances for more money.

I'm personally waiting for financial aid info from both of my schools before I tell either one what's up. No idea if holding multiple acceptances will having any bearing but it can't hurt my chances for more money.
That's a good point and it is especially important for most people.

The school I am matriculating into (UT Southwestern) previously offered me a hefty scholarship guaranteed for all four years. So even if I didn't get another dime in financial aid, I would still be in an extremely good financial situation.

I just had exactly the same question: when and how to decline an acceptance that I already accepted:)
I know I should do it now but I just don't have guts to do it...

I just had exactly the same question: when and how to decline an acceptance that I already accepted:)
I know I should do it now but I just don't have guts to do it...
Guts to what? Nobody is going to care or remember you. They already know people sometimes choose other colleges. If anything, your gut is hurting someone that could want that seat.