When the impossible happens...an against-all odds story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As interview season gets underway, many med school hopefuls will be religiously checking this forum, searching for hope. I know, because I was there 4 years ago. Going even further back, for as long as I could remember, med school wasn't a viable option for me. I was on the pre-med track as an undergrad, just like you. Science wasn't my strong suit and I struggled, to say the least. I was told - no, urged - by my academic advisor to voluntarily remove myself from the pre-med track. Based on her many years of experience, she was adamant that a student with my stats wouldn't make it. The doctor I worked with at the hospital where I volunteered (like any good pre-med would) told me I was going to have to seek out another career path because med school just wasn't interested in students who struggle academically. Some years later, after I'd graduated college and went into the real world to earn a living - at a medical institution, no less - the doctor I worked for told me he would happily write a letter of recommendation for me to apply to medical school; when I told him my MCAT scores and GPA, he immediately retracted his offer. Instead, he offered the advice that I should save my money by not applying because I had no chance in hell. They were all trying to help, I get it.

I saw my friends apply once, twice, three times...and after the third attempt, they quit and forged ahead with an alternative plan. And they all had higher MCATs and GPAs, mind you. I took MCAT after MCAT after MCAT...and kept getting the same low score...you know, the one that they tell you will never get you into med school? All the sign posts were there, so why didn't I just turn around already? Because I never believed for a second that any of those people were right. And 4 years later, I came back on SDN, as I'd vowed to, to make this statement because I want to encourage you all to believe the impossible.

You're probably wondering what formula I used. None. There is no formula. What is the secret then? The secret is to believe the impossible. If I had believed any of those people who told me no, I wouldn't be living my dream today. I am in an LCME-accredited M.D. program that based in the United States proper. Did I know the dean? Are my parents doctors who generously donate to the school? Did I apply as a disadvantaged student? Am I one of those "underrepresented minorities" in medicine? Did I apply 3+ times? The answer to all of these questions you may be thinking is NO. (Let's be honest - as a pre-med struggling to land a spot at any med school, we've thought these things...it's part of the culture and you can't help but be influenced by what other pre-meds write and talk about). I'm just an ordinary person with a big dream and a heart that knew it wanted to become a doctor. I applied ONCE, I received multiple interview offers, and I was eventually accepted. So, what did I do that was so special that got me in when there was absolutely no chance (when there was a greater chance of pigs flying)? I believed the impossible...and the impossible happened.

So why am I writing all of this now? Because today someone told me NO. They told me I won't make it into my desired residency program. I smiled at them and said, thank you. Instead of telling them my story, I decided that there will be others better served by it than someone who doesn't even deserve another minute of my time. So, during this season, when you're struggling to find some hope or you start to question yourself, I hope you think of my story and know that it is never impossible. It's only impossible when you give up because you've basically eliminated any possibilities.

If you are one of those people who just need a formula, here's one: Take care of yourself. Be a nice person. Try to be a good person every day. Believe in the impossible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
I'm really happy for you man - congratulations on achieving your dream despite all odds.

However, you're definitely in the minority. I'm a firm proponent of perseverance, but advocating to "believe in the impossible" seems like it'd end up in heartbreak for many pre-meds. In most cases, "no chances in hell" means just that.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice prose but I can't appreciate it without more concrete info.

Reactions: 11 users
So why am I writing all of this now? Because today someone told me NO. They told me I won't make it into my desired residency program. I smiled at them and said, thank you. Instead of telling them my story, I decided that there will be others better served by it than someone who doesn't even deserve another minute of my time. So, during this season, when you're struggling to find some hope or you start to question yourself, I hope you think of my story and know that it is never impossible. It's only impossible when you give up because you've basically eliminated any possibilities.

Did they tell you wouldn't get into a certain program, or a certain kind of residency? Medical school deans sit everyone down and discuss their chances for a reason: you only get one real chance at the match and you can ruin a good thing by overshooting. Now if its only a particularly competitive program in an otherwise less competitive field it doesn' t really matter: take you shot, apply to lots of backup options, and you'll go where you go. On the other hand if you're thinking of applying to an uber competitive field against the advice of your administrators that's could really ruin your career. Don't end up a doctor who will never practice because you insisted on applying to Derm when you didn't have the stats.

Thank you for the inspiring topic. However, I think we should also emphasize that getting into medical school is just the first bite of the apple. You'd have to pull a hat trick and repeat stellar performances on all of your steps, ITE, and specialty boards. It actually only gets more grueling from here.

While I am not implying you will struggle, for those students who were hanging on a lifeline when accepted, the above may prove difficult and lead to mosery or future troubles.

Felt like I was reading one of those religious pamphlets that's gets stuffed under my door that says I can accomplish anything with divine intervention. Must be the weird bolded words.

Congrats, OP. Sounds like you're one of the few lucky ones.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe that how you feel or what you believe plays no role in the post interview decision. With that in mind, negative emotions only serve to discourage and cause anxiety. Just be happy and positive and you'll live a better life regardless of the admissions outcome.

Reactions: 1 user
Docdora, congratulations on your accomplishment. Let's hope you are able to see it through.

What raises my suspicions about this whole thing though is this:

I am in an LCME-accredited M.D. program that based in the United States proper.

Why not just say "I am in an allopathic medical school." Why the LCME-accredited phrase which we seldom throw around here... why "the United States proper"? Something about this is fishy to me.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh nice all I have to do is believe in the impossible and I'm good. I was worried I was going to have to put in lots of hard work

Reactions: 5 users
Why not just say "I am in an allopathic medical school." Why the LCME-accredited phrase which we seldom throw around here... why "the United States proper"? Something about this is fishy to me.

I think the OP was just trying to get the jump on the forums many doubts. Otherwise you get this exchange.

OP: I got into a school despite a low MCAT
SDN: Like a school in india? Or the carribean?
OP: No a US school
SDN: Oh, like a fake school? I bet your school is fake dude
OP: No an LCME-accredited US school
SDN: So some brand new DO school? You won't match from there
OP: NO. An LCME-accredited, MD school
SDN: Sooo... Puerto Rico?
OP: NO. NO. NO. An LCME-accredited, MD school in the US proper

This way saves time, and we can jump right to

SDN: I bet you wouldn't be so defensive about it being an accredited mainland US school if there wasn't something f-d up about it.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OP was just trying to get the jump on the forums many doubts. Otherwise you get this exchange.

OP: I got into a school despite a low MCAT
SDN: Like a school in india? Or the carribean?
OP: No a US school
SDN: Oh, like a fake school? I bet your school is fake dude
OP: No an LCME-accredited US school
SDN: So some brand new DO school? You won't match from there
OP: NO. An LCME-accredited, MD school
SDN: Sooo... Puerto Rico?
OP: NO. NO. NO. An LCME-accredited, MD school in the US proper

This way saves time, and we can jump right to

SDN: I bet you wouldn't be so defensive about it being an accredited mainland US school if there wasn't something f-d up about it.

Aha! But he never said it was a not for profit LCME-accredited, MD school in the US proper. Must be northstate :p

Oh nice all I have to do is believe in the impossible and I'm good. I was worried I was going to have to put in lots of hard work

Sounds like an anime season finale.

Aha! But he never said it was a not for profit LCME-accredited, MD school in the US proper. Must be northstate :p
I have to admit, that was my first thought when I saw their phrasing...

OP, congratulations to you. I'm glad perseverance paid off in this phase. However, recognize that you hit the 1 in a million odds...don't bank on a repeat. If your advisors say you're not on the right track for your residency plans, listen to them and put yourself in a position where you don't need to hit the powerball number just to succeed. The MCAT let you retake indefinitely; the steps won't. The match is a much more defined timeline than applying to MD schools; you want to get it right the first time!

While, like many on SDN, I have become cynical and suspicious of trolls. However, as an advisor for mostly nontrads now, I certainly have enough direct knowledge of the amazing and surprising success stories . The most important thing from DocDora is to truly believe in yourself, to be motivated despite much of the negativity that will come your way in this journey. Believing in the impossible is necessary but not sufficient. However without it, you will fail. That is the take away from this tale.

I guess I'm just pessimistic but honestly for me screw that "believe in yourself" speech. I know I speak for a lot of applicants with low stats and low chances for acceptance when believing in yourself doesn't mean much when you're going to be rejected by all the med schools anyway. No matter how great a person you may actually, it doesn't mean anything if schools won't interview you because your stats straight up suck. No you'll just be thrown in the reject pile and the hard truth is that's what should happen. There are thousands of applicants that are not only great compassionate people but also have shown their ability to perform. These people are better applicants than you and rightfully deserve a seat. It's just that there are too many great potential doctors but not enough room in the medical schools for them. These people did everything right, they got the grades , MCAT, and the extracurriculars and especially there are those who overcame great challenges in life but yet can't be a doctor. The odds shouldn't be against these people.

Sorry for the rant but I guess I've just been frustrated with all the rejections I've been getting with no IIs. I knew that this was would be the result but it hurts knowing that I've changed myself and worked my ass off to make up for my mistakes but it isn't enough. But most of all, it hurts because I know this is what I deserve, I don't deserve to be a doctor. Not yet. Other people deserve it.

I'm never going to stop working towards achieving my goal of being the best doctor I can possibly be but I won't succeed because I believed in myself or in the impossible. Instead I believe in hard work instead, in achieving results. That if I put in the effort, I'll be worthy of becoming a doctor, of standing besides those who truly earned it. It's just currently I haven't reached it yet and that's the painful part, knowing you're still far too short of reaching the goal. All in all, I say believe in hard work instead of believing in the impossible.

I guess I'm just pessimistic but honestly for me screw that "believe in yourself" speech. I know I speak for a lot of applicants with low stats and low chances for acceptance when believing in yourself doesn't mean much when you're going to be rejected by all the med schools anyway. No matter how great a person you may actually, it doesn't mean anything if schools won't interview you because your stats straight up suck. No you'll just be thrown in the reject pile and the hard truth is that's what should happen. There are thousands of applicants that are not only great compassionate people but also have shown their ability to perform. These people are better applicants than you and rightfully deserve a seat. It's just that there are too many great potential doctors but not enough room in the medical schools for them. These people did everything right, they got the grades , MCAT, and the extracurriculars and especially there are those who overcame great challenges in life but yet can't be a doctor. The odds shouldn't be against these people.

Sorry for the rant but I guess I've just been frustrated with all the rejections I've been getting with no IIs. I knew that this was would be the result but it hurts knowing that I've changed myself and worked my ass off to make up for my mistakes but it isn't enough. But most of all, it hurts because I know this is what I deserve, I don't deserve to be a doctor. Not yet. Other people deserve it.

I'm never going to stop working towards achieving my goal of being the best doctor I can possibly be but I won't succeed because I believed in myself or in the impossible. Instead I believe in hard work instead, in achieving results. That if I put in the effort, I'll be worthy of becoming a doctor, of standing besides those who truly earned it. It's just currently I haven't reached it yet and that's the painful part, knowing you're still far too short of reaching the goal. All in all, I say believe in hard work instead of believing in the impossible.
Thats a lot of words to make so few points. But I guess the OP started it.

Thats a lot of words to make so few points. But I guess the OP started it.

lol, it's just venting. Probably the same thing OP was doing when somebody told him/her that they would get into the residency of their choice.

@gonnif specifically pointed out that
Believing in the impossible is necessary but not sufficient.
which I take to mean that, if you don't believe in your chances of beating the odds, you'll never have the motivation/perseverance to put in all the hard work necessary to become a better applicant and, eventually, one of those success stories.

2.5yrs ago, I was a 3.1-something nobody with zero clinical experience and no MCAT. Those were some seriously long odds. But I knew I could do it (despite that statistics would say otherwise), which enabled me to work my butt off for a few years taking classes, volunteering, working in hospitals, and doing other programs. Seriously, I got called out during my first interview for how many hours I was putting in every week during my reinvention. Hopefully, that's going to pay off, and yes...it will be due to my hard work. But my hard work would never have happened if I hadn't thought I could pull it off despite the odds, despite that my gpa would never rise above a 3.3, despite how much I had to tackle at once. No, that belief by itself was not sufficient, but it was necessary to enable me to do what was (well, hopefully...Oct 15th hasn't come yet so I guess I could easily go 0-4 with interview/acceptance rates).

which I take to mean that, if you don't believe in your chances of beating the odds, you'll never have the motivation/perseverance to put in all the hard work necessary to become a better applicant and, eventually, one of those success stories.

2.5yrs ago, I was a 3.1-something nobody with zero clinical experience and no MCAT. Those were some seriously long odds. But I knew I could do it (despite that statistics would say otherwise), which enabled me to work my butt off for a few years taking classes, volunteering, working in hospitals, and doing other programs. Seriously, I got called out during my first interview for how many hours I was putting in every week during my reinvention. Hopefully, that's going to pay off, and yes...it will be due to my hard work. But my hard work would never have happened if I hadn't thought I could pull it off despite the odds, despite that my gpa would never rise above a 3.3, despite how much I had to tackle at once. No, that belief by itself was not sufficient, but it was necessary to enable me to do what was (well, hopefully...Oct 15th hasn't come yet so I guess I could easily go 0-4 with interview/acceptance rates).

Good job, I'm sure that med schools will definitely see how hard you've worked to come this far, evident in you getting IIs. But you weren't motivated because you believed in the impossible but because you believed your hard work would pay off.

Good job, I'm sure that med schools will definitely see how hard you've worked to come this far, evident in you getting IIs. But you weren't motivated because you believed in the impossible but because you believed your hard work would pay off.
Which many told me was impossible. :laugh: Or else they figured it was impossible to work hard enough to get into a reasonable shape in 2yrs.
I mean, come on...the very act of 'believing the impossible' is thinking that something most people deem impossible, is actually possible. Sure, it's not 100% semantically accurate, but the intent is clear.

Reactions: 1 users
There are thousands of applicants that are not only great compassionate people but also have shown their ability to perform. These people are better applicants than you and rightfully deserve a seat.

Yes, I agree completely. These people are entitled to a seat.

I don't think that Whitney Houston is appropriate to use here. :unsure:

Are you lying to us OP? Lack of stats make me suspicious.

This sounds like the plot to "The Secret"

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I want to know........ Why no specifics..... like stats, what did you go back and do, how many mcat retakes, etc.

I'm glad for you though.

Wow, I assumed you were a 4.0 type. Awesome effort, I'm sure you'll make it in

Sometimes your best quality is the ability to keep on a trail no one is hiking on. Kinda like OP.
Keep working hard and keep believing in yourself. You have almost triple the amount of chances and possibilities than the amount of rejections. Cant be bleak just yet.

Effort and handwork go hand in hand with a little bit of luck and hope - dancing with opportunity at the right time.