when to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goose31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in college and will graduate 12/10 with a BS degree. Is it too early to apply to pt schools. I have a solid GPA, I am taking the GRE in August and have over 150 clinical hours. Just wondering if most students apply during their senior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Best advice, start early. There's no penalty for getting your application in early, but the later you wait, the more applications that will have already been reviewed. I had my PTCAS sent in september of my senior year and was already accepted to a few schools by early october... well before their deadlines were even close.

I'd say start your PTCAS a.s.a.p and if you are applying to non PTCAS schools, start filling out their applications as well. If you are just waiting on your GRE, when it comes in you can just enter your GRE information and click submit. You sound like you have the grades and experience, don't fall victim to 'waiting too long' and not getting in simply because the seats were already filled.

I agree with PTstudent11...

What advantage would you have in waiting?? If you are waiting on a GRE or grades, then it may be reasonable to wait, but otherwise, I don't think it will be advantageous.

There are some programs that have deadlines as early as October although most are probably in the November to January range, to give you a rough idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Another question, how many schools do most people apply to?

how many schools do people apply to?

I think it depends. I chose to apply to 7. it cost me alot but i wasnt sure where i wanted to live, if i wanted to stay in state, what kinds of financial aid i could get in different areas. i had multiple offers so i was able to make these kinds of decisions because of the amount of apps i did.

but its really starts to add up financially. I think 4-5 is probably a normal amount. Friends of mine from undergrad applied to about 5 I think. maybe 6.

Agreed with what's already been said. Start as early as you can. It takes time to put in all your coursework into PTCAS, getting your references in, observation hour approval, etc etc.

I only applied to 2 schools. Got 1 interview, and got in there. It was all I could afford and since it was my first time applying...I didn't feel the need to put myself in debt just from the applications! Most other people in my class applied to 3-4. It will all depend on your preference though. See where you are willing to move and whether your academic history matches up with the schools in that area. Also pay attention to tuition. Can't believe how much some schools are making students pay. That was also a reason why I only applied to 2 schools.

When you mention it costing a lot, what is the cost per application?

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but last year through PTCAS it was $150 for the first school, then $25 for each additional one. I personally would rather shell out money for more apps if you're insecure about getting in compared to doing it all over again the next year and paying that initial 150+. Good luck to all of you guys and gals applying this round- I remember being in your shoes last year...oh the anxiety (and thrills!).

yeah for this year the cost for the first app to one school is $135 i think, then $35 for each other school you apply to.

My undergrad overall GPA was a 2.97 in 2008, I didnt use PTCAS back then and I applied to only 5 schools and didnt get in. Now Im applying to like 16 schools through PTCAS and I should have an undergrad of 3.0 after taking extra classes and I still feel like im not going to get in.

Well I just took my first GRE test and didn't do so well. I received a 650 on math but only a 370 on verbal. I plan on taking it again in September. Any advise on studying? And with a GPA of 3.5 and over 200 clinical hours both in patient and out patient what are my chances of getting into a PT school?

Last edited: