When to ask for letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychologyToday1984

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reaching out to various sites about informal post docs. I am waiting to hear back from many of them. None of the clinical directors that I have been in touch with so far have mentioned anything about me needing to provide LOR...yet.

I'm wondering if I should reach out to my letter writers and ask them for letters so that if I need one during this process (which is extremely likely) I will have them. Or... should I wait until i am specifically asked to provide letters and then reach out to my writers?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you should consider sending a "heads up"-type email to the potential letter writers to let them know you're applying, and that while you haven't had any requests for LORs yet, you may need some with relatively quick turnarounds in the near future.

If nothing else, I'd want to check now with the potential writers to be sure they're comfortable providing a recommendation.

I'd say you should consider sending a "heads up"-type email to the potential letter writers to let them know you're applying, and that while you haven't had any requests for LORs yet, you may need some with relatively quick turnarounds in the near future.

If nothing else, I'd want to check now with the potential writers to be sure they're comfortable providing a recommendation.
Thanks for your helpful response!