When to ask for LoRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When should you ask for LoRs?

• Freshman Year

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Sophomore Year

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Junior Year

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Senior Year

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Whenever you find someone who you think would write you a good LoR

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

Mayday

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. (This is assuming one is using interfolio so that you can keep track of them)

The main reason I'm asking is that I would think it would be easier to get a good LoR from a teacher right after you finish the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious. (This is assuming one is using interfolio so that you can keep track of them)

The main reason I'm asking is that I would think it would be easier to get a good LoR from a teacher right after you finish the class.

Based on my current experiences, I'd say ask about a decade before you need them and ask for them to be done five years before you apply. Then you MIGHT have a chance of getting them on time for your application. But I'm not bitter or anything.

In all seriousness, I asked well before classes ended in the spring and had commitments from each person to have letters done well before now. And yet here I am still practically begging for half of them. So I'd recommend asking around January and asking for them to be done by March. That way you still have a couple of months while school is in session to bug people if they don't get their letters in on time. I knew one guy who never got one that was promised to him last June, it happens, so you really need to start VERY early and be proactive. Don't end up in my position.

I asked early and casted a very wide net. I had my top choice recommenders in my mind, but not all of those ended up coming through for me. One of them just flat out never wrote me one. If I suspected that they were no good (ie. kept blowing off dates they promised me they would do them by) then I immediately started asking around for a back-up. In the end I received more than enough LORs with some time to spare before app. season.
I think the key for me (besides asking early) was searching for several back-ups. I think I have 2-3 solid LORs, but I definitely collected 2-3 back-ups (and have needed to use some back-ups for certain schools to meet requirements). I figure if you have 2-3 good LORs then 1-2 "average" ones wont doom your app. Its better to have something and being complete early than to have nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked well before classes ended in the spring and had commitments from each person to have letters done well before now. And yet here I am still practically begging for half of them.

Yikes. That would seriously suck. How many people did you originally ask?

I asked six. Three down, three to go. I'm about to ask several other people though and just see who comes through first.

I asked six. Three down, three to go. I'm about to ask several other people though and just see who comes through first.

I would do that too. Good luck!! :luck:

I would highly recommend starting to look for letter writers towards the end of your sophomore year. Cultivate the necessary relationships with your profs by going to office hours and making sure they know you by name. Also, once you've targeted the profs who you will be asking, keep in touch with them if you won't be applying for a few more semesters. This will make life a lot easier when you go to formally ask them.

I know too many other premeds who didn't even consider LORs and waited until after the spring semester of their junior year to ask profs for letters. Many had taken the course three or four semesters ago and the prof had no idea who the student even was.

I asked most of my letter writers in Feb or March and told them that I needed the letters by the end of May. This worked well because even though two of them took longer then requested, it still wasn't too late.

Oh, and have a few letters as spares in case someone doesn't come through. Scrambling in September for a rogue letter writer is hell.