When to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I will be applying to vet school this fall. There are some experiences I am wanting to do this summer. I currently work as a lab animal caretaker. However, I would like to ask one of the research vets if I can help in any way with a project this summer? I also work at a diagnostic lab where I am wanting to shadow a pathologist in the summer as well. I am very interested in these experiences, both these individuals are professors at the vet school and would be awesome LOR's. When do I ask? Is it too early? I don't want to seem over eager but I want things set for the upcoming summer.

Members don't see this ad.

The earlier, the better. At the beginning of semesters and right when they end is a good time to ask, as those graduating are leaving an open spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I will be applying to vet school this fall. There are some experiences I am wanting to do this summer. I currently work as a lab animal caretaker. However, I would like to ask one of the research vets if I can help in any way with a project this summer? I also work at a diagnostic lab where I am wanting to shadow a pathologist in the summer as well. I am very interested in these experiences, both these individuals are professors at the vet school and would be awesome LOR's. When do I ask? Is it too early? I don't want to seem over eager but I want things set for the upcoming summer.
If I'm interpreting this correctly: You don't yet work with these two vets, but are hoping to have them write you LORs the same summer you start working alongside them (hopefully).

If that's correct, here's my opinion: I've been advised several times that it's not ideal to have your letters come from vets you haven't worked with for very long (I was specifically told less than one year by one school, other schools have been a bit more vague). I'm not sure of how close you are to these two individuals given that you seem to work in the same vicinity, but not exactly 'with' them. Do you at least have your baseline of three letters of rec, or would these two be absolutely required for you to even apply? I'm not saying don't ask them, but there's the risk that they don't feel they can talk you up enough yet and turn you down. There's the risk that they just write you a half-assed letter (happened to me, the vet just didn't know me well enough yet. She wrote me a great letter a year later). If you feel that these two know you well enough to write you a good letter, disregard! Just my two cents.

Definitely ask to work with them now and get that squared away. That work would help you no matter what happens with your letters.

Seeming overeager is better than seeming like someone who is trying to get in as a last ditch effort because something else fell through or they are disorganized. I think contacting them now for summer work (starting in May or so I am assuming?) is fine.

For the research vet it might be a good idea to come in with a semblance of a plan as well. Our lab, for example, is much more willing to take undergrads that express interest in specific projects rather than just generically asking if they can "help out doing whatever". So definitely talk about the project you are interested in, express desire to meet and learn where the projects are currently, etc.

If you can start helping or shadowing with either of them even earlier than the summer that would be great so they have the maximum amount of time to get to know you as possible. Don't overextend yourself though - it is better to be heavily involved in a few things than only sparing involved in a lot, especially when the end goal is an LOR.

Thank you! @pinkpuppy9 The research vet gave a lecture during my freshman year and I contacted her telling my interest in lab animal. She sent me the info for the lab animal caretaker that I now am. Though, I don't see her on a regular basis. The pathologist has known me for over a year, since I started work in the histology lab. She comes down often and I go to her office occasionally to pick up slides, give her slides, updates on cases, etc. As far as LOR's, in my mind I have my lab animal caretaker supervisor, my study abroad professor who used to be an animal science professor, and I was wanting one of the pathologists at the lab. I've also been working in a clinic since the summer so there is a possibility of getting an LOR from one of the three vets there. I wanted to strengthen my relationship with them by shadowing. Is this reasonable?

Thank you! @pinkpuppy9 The research vet gave a lecture during my freshman year and I contacted her telling my interest in lab animal. She sent me the info for the lab animal caretaker that I now am. Though, I don't see her on a regular basis. The pathologist has known me for over a year, since I started work in the histology lab. She comes down often and I go to her office occasionally to pick up slides, give her slides, updates on cases, etc. As far as LOR's, in my mind I have my lab animal caretaker supervisor, my study abroad professor who used to be an animal science professor, and I was wanting one of the pathologists at the lab. I've also been working in a clinic since the summer so there is a possibility of getting an LOR from one of the three vets there. I wanted to strengthen my relationship with them by shadowing. Is this reasonable?
Again, these are just my opinions based off of my experience. If I were in your shoes, I would want more time under the supervision of the research vet and pathologist (although it sounds like you have a better relationship with the latter).

All in all, LORs typically make up a very small portion of your overall application. When I got dinged for that crappy letter I mentioned, the person who did my file review basically said "It definitely didn't help you, but it wasn't the main reason for your rejection." Don't stress too much about it as long as you have your baseline three (and that those three meet the requirements for each school). It can't hurt to ask. And anytime I asked, I phrased it as "Do you feel that you could write me a good LOR?"

PP, my understanding was that cheathac wanted to contact people about strengthening her relationship with them over the summer by getting more involved... so that she can eventually ask for a LOR.

Not so she can ask for a LOR now before doing stuff with them this summer.

Am I wrong about that?

No, you are totally correct @Minnerbelle . As of right now, I don't fee comfortable asking "Can you write me a letter of rec? I'm wanting to spend more time with them and for them to get to know me before asking. I want to have several people I feel confident in asking in case anything happens.

PP, my understanding was that cheathac wanted to contact people about strengthening her relationship with them over the summer by getting more involved... so that she can eventually ask for a LOR.

Not so she can ask for a LOR now before doing stuff with them this summer.

Am I wrong about that?
I interpreted it the same. I said that my advice would apply (if the OP agreed, at least) if she/he asked for a letter during the same summer they started working closely together, sorry if my wording was confusing! If anything, cheat, could you start working with them earlier than this summer? WTF said it well when she said that you want to allow as much time for these vets to get to know you, especially if you want them to write you a letter for this year's cycle.

That is ok! I didn't make it very clear. I could start working with them earlier, but I'm taking a heavy course load with 4 jobs so I don't want my grades to compromise. I'll email the research vet and talk to the pathologist in person since I see her more often and see what they say!

That is ok! I didn't make it very clear. I could start working with them earlier, but I'm taking a heavy course load with 4 jobs so I don't want my grades to compromise. I'll email the research vet and talk to the pathologist in person since I see her more often and see what they say!
Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user

Hot damn child. Any way to trim that down a bit? Quality of experience > quantity. Would you be forgoing at least some of those jobs for the summer? Unless you desperately need the money or you are getting significant experience from them, I would be careful of spreading yourself too thin.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha I know.. I definitely won't be doing all during this summer. I say for.. but the hours I work a week vary from 16-25 hrs/week. I feel they are all good quality... diagnostic lab, student assistant in radio oncology, and caretakers in both small animal at vet school and lab animal...

Reactions: 1 users
Haha I know.. I definitely won't be doing all during this summer. I say for.. but the hours I work a week vary from 16-25 hrs/week. I feel they are all good quality... diagnostic lab, student assistant in radio oncology, and caretakers in both small animal at vet school and lab animal...

Props to you...I did something similar during this past year leading up to my VMCAS application, although it was two part time jobs, a volunteer position, and a full-time research position (current), so to be honest I'd say that you have it a bit worse haha. I will agree with WTF, though, in that you don't want to spread yourself too thin. If you start to burn out (anyone would with that workload), you may start to think that you're getting tired of vet med, or that you don't have the chops for vet school, when in reality you're doing far more than the average successful applicant. You'll also want to follow her advice regarding taking on a fairly targeted project in the lab, so be sure to have some working knowledge of the lab's recent papers/projects. You want to sound both genuinely interested and prepared when you ask a PI to take the time/effort (both of which = $$) to have you trained. Also, have you taken the GRE yet? I'm not going to rhapsodize about the importance of preparation, but if you're feeling rusty on standardized exam format/Qs, definitely allow yourself a few solid weeks (a month is better) to prepare so that you don't bomb it and compromise your application (schools like Davis, Cornell, UPenn, and Tufts are fairly unforgiving when it comes to the GRE). Best of luck, and try not to second guess yourself when you're feeling overwhelmed! Any second guessing should be done in a calm, objective fashion :p

Reactions: 1 user
@jcc3sa Thank you! I often do think I don't have what it takes. There are just so many good opportunities that pop up and I can't ignore. I had all these 4 jobs last semester.. and my GPA actually went up. Though this semester, I am taking harder classes. Even though Purdue is my IS, it's very hard to get into for IS. I have not taken the GRE yet, I have a big book full of practice exams in my room. I'm not sure when to actually take it. Perhaps the end of May? Then if I'm not satisfied, take it again. Also not sure on what other schools to even apply to since being in so much debt is something I'm afraid of. When it gets closer to applying, I'll evaluate my strengths. Some schools I'm looking at are Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio State, and Florida