When to buy a stethoscope? (Am I insane?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I get a stethoscope?

• Why not?

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • You're a sophomore... relax.

Votes: 67 93.1%

• Total voters

WhatsUpDoc24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Naive sophomore here, wondering if it would be ridiculous to buy a stethoscope. I haven't done much shadowing at all yet, but I plan to start shadowing a lot really soon, and I'm wondering if it would be helpful to have a stethoscope while shadowing. Did any of you have stethoscopes while shadowing, and did it make the experience better? I'm also going on a medical mission soon, mainly just doing triage stuff (where I would use a stethoscope for taking bp) and we're running low on stethoscopes. They said the more we bring the better. Mainly concerned about the shadowing though.

I figure I'll have to get one eventually, right? Why not now (assuming I don't lose it)? By the way, I'm completely open to the idea that I'm getting way ahead of myself :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

You can get a really cheap scope for under $20 if you need to bring one or more for the medical mission. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/stethoscopes/ID=361293-tier3 Don't spend your money on a Littmann yet. Most med schools will have some kind of group discount or deal for ordering medical tools, so it's best to hold off on purchasing the real deal until you're actually a med student.

Don't take a scope to shadow unless the doc specifically asks you to bring one (they won't). If they REALLY want you to hear something, they have crappy disposable ones for contact precautions, or the doc will let you use his.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it's ridiculous.

Go enjoy undergrad. These are the best years of your life.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school issued us stethoscopes (cheap ones) in a class where they were teaching us how to take bp (among other things). I played with it one or two times and now it's sitting somewhere with no use. You certainly don't need one of those $100+ for a mission trip. Heck I don't know why they even need students take bp manually.

It's rather pointless for a doctor to tell a pre-medical student to auscultate something, as we would have absolutely no idea what we are listening to.

I voted, "You're a sophomore. Relax."

I really think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself.

I would also like to note that it would look very presumptuous to bring a stethoscope to shadowing.

Reactions: 6 users
If the doctor wants you to hear something, he'll lend you his. Or there will be a teaching steth with two pairs of "headphones" (definitely don't know the technical term (yet)!).

Honestly, you'll be pretty lucky if the doctor lets you touch a patient during shadowing.

If you wanna look like a douche then go ahead buy it and use it.

Reactions: 15 users
Well, that's enough SDN for me for today.

Reactions: 7 users
If you want to donate one. I'll take a Littmann Cardiology III in ocean blue.

Members don't see this ad :)
*****ic threads like this are why premeds get a bad rep...

Reactions: 7 users
I just became curious. What's the difference between Littmann and other cheapies?
And why do some of the Littmanns cost half a kidney while some others are as expensive as a box o' joe?

you got it, it's on its way
Thanks. Some student stole mine...must have been a premed. Figured I might as well upgrade.

Don't worry about the stethoscope. Ask for one as a present when you get accepted to medical school and actually need it.

*****ic threads like this are why premeds get a bad rep...
Ehhh, don't give him/her a bad time. At least OP asked before he/she came in to shadow an orthopedic surgeon with a Master Cardiology stethoscope. lol

I just became curious. What's the difference between Littmann and other cheapies?
And why do some of the Littmanns cost half a kidney while some others are as expensive as a box o' joe?
I just use the classic Littmann which works for what I need to hear as a nurse. I've had a good experience with the quality of the product and quality of what I can auscultate.

Reactions: 1 user
Ehhh, don't give him/her a bad time. At least OP asked before he/she came in to shadow an orthopedic surgeon with a Master Cardiology stethoscope. lol

I would have loved to see how that played out.

At any point when creating this thread did you take a moment to really think about what you were asking? Never thought that if in the craziest of scenarios you needed one, they would let you know? My god...

Last edited:

"Yeah hi, good to see you again, listen, I've got this student following me around today, is it alright if he/she observes? Great. Actually, you know what, I'm going to have him/her do the physical examination. You don't mind do you? I know I'm already pushing it with having this kid in the room in the first place, but hey, it's actually really helpful for them to get some hands on training. Now I know he/she doesn't have any experience whatsoever, and I know they have no idea what to look for, but it can't hurt can it? Thanks for understanding. I know you paid top dollar for this appointment and my medical advice but lets let this premed have some fun first. Don't worry, I can take a look after."

At any point when creating this thread did you take a moment to really think about what you were asking? Never thought that if in the craziest of scenarios you needed one, they would let you know? My god...

Just bought a Littmann electronic 3200 just to spite you

Whatever, go ahead and continue your neurotic existance

When i shadowed, the physicians always just let me borrow theirs. You would look like such a tool if you carried a stethoscope as a premed.

"Yeah hi, good to see you again, listen, I've got this student following me around today, is it alright if he/she observes? Great. Actually, you know what, I'm going to have him/her do the physical examination. You don't mind do you? I know I'm already pushing it with having this kid in the room in the first place, but hey, it's actually really helpful for them to get some hands on training. Now I know he/she doesn't have any experience whatsoever, and I know they have no idea what to look for, but it can't hurt can it? Thanks for understanding. I know you paid top dollar for this appointment and my medical advice but lets let this premed have some fun first. Don't worry, I can take a look after."

I hope you realize thats kind of what being a med student on clinics is actually like.

Reactions: 2 users
When i shadowed, the physicians always just let me borrow theirs. You would look like such a tool if you carried a stethoscope as a premed.

I hope you realize thats kind of what being a med student on clinics is actually like
Let's all relax, I understand what the consensus is and I'm obviously not going to buy one :rofl:

When I shadowed a cardiologist, he gave me his to borrow, and one of the nurses gave me a cheap $20 stethoscope, but to me, it felt like everything in the world receiving my first stethoscope. Man, I am the neurotic pre-med this forum hates. :)

Hey all,

Naive sophomore here, wondering if it would be ridiculous to buy a stethoscope. I haven't done much shadowing at all yet, but I plan to start shadowing a lot really soon, and I'm wondering if it would be helpful to have a stethoscope while shadowing. Did any of you have stethoscopes while shadowing, and did it make the experience better? I'm also going on a medical mission soon, mainly just doing triage stuff (where I would use a stethoscope for taking bp) and we're running low on stethoscopes. They said the more we bring the better. Mainly concerned about the shadowing though.

I figure I'll have to get one eventually, right? Why not now (assuming I don't lose it)? By the way, I'm completely open to the idea that I'm getting way ahead of myself :laugh:
giphy.gif

Enjoy your life, son. You'll have 40+ years to wear a stethoscope. Remember when turning 17 would be so cool because you can see rated R movies?

Enjoy your life, son. You'll have 40+ years to wear a stethoscope. Remember when turning 17 would be so cool because you can see rated R movies?

Sadly I got more excited about a stethoscope badge a friend gave me than a new stethoscope. I realize these badges are a nurse thing, which is fine because that's what I am right now. But the badge was totally my sense of humor (corny and sarcastic if those two even mix) It's the little things.

The topic of this thread encompasses everything that everybody dislikes about the term 'Pre-Med,' but I'm glad you were spared from actually going through with that. Your job as a shadow is to pay some attention and, when the doc isn't as busy as he normally is, ask him (or her) the burning questions that you have about his lifestyle/practice.

Last edited:
I know a sophomore at my undergrad who bought one. Everyone made fun of her. I say don't. She told me to wear mine to graduation since I got in med school and i told her that would even make me look like a jerk. My point: don't buy one in undergrad unless its a cheap on for a medical mission trip. You aren't touching anyone in shadowing, the whole point is to be like a shadow.

This is a reminder that your discussion should remain courteous and contribute positively, as outlined in TOS. Stop with the personal attacks.

Better quality = you can hear stuff better. If you've ever used those yellow disposable ones they use in contact precaution rooms, good luck hearing murmurs or other soft sounds. And as far as medical instruments go, Litmanns don't cost that much. You can get a Cardiology III (near top of the line) for around $150.

Reactions: 4 users
A doctor I shadowed had spare stethoscopes. She lent me one to use when I shadowed her.

No need to buy one. If the doctor wants you to "help" during appointments, she'll provide you with the necessary tools to do so.

Pretty much everyone will think you're a fool. Even if you were accepted to medical school at this point, it would be unwise to do so as many schools will require to buy their specific equipment selections (in addition to the points made about group discounts).

It's not that cool, I promise.

you should get a white coat and wear it to your classes. that's a better idea.

you should get a white coat and wear it to your classes. that's a better idea.

Oh don't even get me started on the premeds who wore their white lab coats for chemistry around everywhere at my ugrad!

Do you have a blood pressure problem or heart problem? No? So t get one.

Oh don't even get me started on the premeds who wore their white lab coats for chemistry around everywhere at my ugrad!

People ACTUALLY do this?

What the hell...

They do this at my undergrad too. I don't understand it.

A lot of the nursing students actually wear their white lab coats around campus--dining hall, library, non-science classes, science class lectures... It's hilarious.

People ACTUALLY do this?

What the hell...

I think the litmus test to determine this is fairly simple- you get one when you need one daily. You are not at that stage yet.

My friend's a pre-pharm and she runs around in the PHSC lab coats that they need to get for Biochemistry. She had to special order the extra small and it still looks big on her. It's sort of cute because it really does cheer her up, but even she doesn't wear that coat to all of her classes. Only the lab that requires it; and on occasion when she's having a really rough day.

Just use your best judgment, OP. You're a sophomore, so I'd suggest relaxing about it, but if you think you'll need it for a little motivation you can carry with you, it's your $150.

They do this at my undergrad too. I don't understand it.

A lot of the nursing students actually wear their white lab coats around campus--dining hall, library, non-science classes, science class lectures... It's hilarious.

why do nursing students have long white lab coats

Last edited: