MPH When to contact a professor about research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntriguedStudent

Oops
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I've decided on a school to attend for my MPH, I was wondering when it's best to start contacting professors about research? I know that I want to get involved in some research projects during my masters and I've already found some professors that have done/are doing research in the areas I'm interested in. However, I've been accepted into the Epidemiology department and although I did research during undergrad/have done some after undergrad, I have very limited experience with epidemiology and biostats. I'd like to get started on research as soon as possible, but would this prevent professors from wanting to take me on for their projects? Should I wait until after the first semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't waste time, go right away.
I'll actually be moving up there at the beginning of the summer. Do you think any professors would be willing to take me on that early? Seeing as you went the research route, did you just start out by cold calling/emailing professors that you were interested in doing research with?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll actually be moving up there at the beginning of the summer. Do you think any professors would be willing to take me on that early? Seeing as you went the research route, did you just start out by cold calling/emailing professors that you were interested in doing research with?

I'm sure Stories would know better than, me (given his career in research), but I was able to secure a research position starting in the fall. Maybe my experience would help . . .

Before visiting the campus, I emailed a director of a center doing research I'm interested in. I told her what my interests were and what I liked about the work of the various faculty members (her included) doing work for the center. Prepping for this took some time (I had to review the literature, and I even read one of the books recently published by one of the faculty). I reached out to a director, because I felt she would have the best idea of who to talk to or if any positions were even available (given funding and current need).

I was also able to speak with a student researcher already working in that center (so, that probably didn't hurt either). I did all this before visiting the campus for the admitted students day, which is when I sought out the director to speak with her personally about any opportunities. I also got to briefly speak to a few faculty members about their work. Two days later I was asked if I'd like a position. Admittedly, I kind of put all my eggs in this one basket, but I got lucky (a position just happened to be opening in the fall).

Reactions: 2 users

Absolutely. You may not get a response directly from a professor, but you can try first with the department's admin(s) and then expand out from there. Nobody dislikes extra help--but if they can pay you may be the part where you may have some more difficulty.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely. You may not get a response directly from a professor, but you can try first with the department's admin(s) and then expand out from there. Nobody dislikes extra help--but if they can pay you may be the part where you may have some more difficulty.
Yeah, pay is the part I'm most worried about. I wouldn't mind volunteering for a while, but I do need some source of income over the summer. Me and my fiance will be moving there together, so she'll be helping a lot with expenses. But I'll need to find a way to at least contribute a bit/pay some personal bills and expenses.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll definitely look at contacting the department's admins. I hadn't really even thought about doing that.

I'm sure Stories would know better than, me (given his career in research), but I was able to secure a research position starting in the fall. Maybe my experience would help . . .

Before visiting the campus, I emailed a director of a center doing research I'm interested in. I told her what my interests were and what I liked about the work of the various faculty members (her included) doing work for the center. Prepping for this took some time (I had to review the literature, and I even read one of the books recently published by one of the faculty). I reached out to a director, because I felt she would have the best idea of who to talk to or if any positions were even available (given funding and current need).

I was also able to speak with a student researcher already working in that center (so, that probably didn't hurt either). I did all this before visiting the campus for the admitted students day, which is when I sought out the director to speak with her personally about any opportunities. I also got to briefly speak to a few faculty members about their work. Two days later I was asked if I'd like a position. Admittedly, I kind of put all my eggs in this one basket, but I got lucky (a position just happened to be opening in the fall).
I've been working on reviewing some of the professors' literature and have found a few that do research in line with what I want to do. I don't even know if I'll be able to make it to the admitted students day at my school, but hopefully since I'll be going up there a few months before classes start I'll be able to begin forming contacts early so they think of me when a position opens!

I've been working on reviewing some of the professors' literature and have found a few that do research in line with what I want to do. I don't even know if I'll be able to make it to the admitted students day at my school, but hopefully since I'll be going up there a few months before classes start I'll be able to begin forming contacts early so they think of me when a position opens!

If you're interested in their work, I'd email those professors now. You may not get a response, but it never hurts.

Just to give you a heads up (and I can only speak to my situation), but when I spoke with the director she said she had been waiting to officially offer me the position until we met in person. She said she wanted to see "how serious" I was, and that she was "really glad" I came out for admitted students day. I'm pretty sure I would not have received the position if I had missed that day. Also, during admitted students day my program really encouraged all the students to pursue research and teaching positions. So, if you wait until afterwards there might be a little more competition for spots. But, hey, if you can't make it, I'm sure it's not the end of the world. Plus, there's always research outside of the college if you've already got some experience under your belt. . .

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in their work, I'd email those professors now. You may not get a response, but it never hurts.

Just to give you a heads up (and I can only speak to my situation), but when I spoke with the director she said she had been waiting to officially offer me the position until we met in person. She said she wanted to see "how serious" I was, and that she was "really glad" I came out for admitted students day. I'm pretty sure I would not have received the position if I had missed that day. Also, during admitted students day my program really encouraged all the students to pursue research and teaching positions. So, if you wait until afterwards there might be a little more competition for spots. But, hey, if you can't make it, I'm sure it's not the end of the world. Plus, there's always research outside of the college if you've already got some experience under your belt. . .
Those are some good points. I hadn't really considered utilizing the admitted students day like that. I should know by the middle of this week whether I'll be able to attend, but I'm probably going to start contacting professors now regardless of whether or not I will be attending the admitted students day.

What do you guys think about contacting professors in different departments? I am in epi, but I am really interested in some the EH research. The EH professors all have joint appointments with epi as well.

What do you guys think about contacting professors in different departments? I am in epi, but I am really interested in some the EH research. The EH professors all have joint appointments with epi as well.

For what it's worth, I can tell you we were encouraged to do that, but it may depend on your program. I say go for it.

I know all schools are probably different, but I've met with a couple of professors and they've both said that they suggest asking around in late summer/early fall so professors have a better idea of job openings and their funding situation. Never hurts to start early though, just in case!