When to go part time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxwaiting

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

When do y'all think is a good time to shift to part time work? Feeling not quite burnt out but working 3 days is tempting =)

As soon as pay off loan? 70 k is great income for my metro... Only people I know who went pt are moms, which I am not!

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel like it's time to cut back (and you can afford to), it probably is.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive worked part time since I graduated bc I have a 2 year old. That being said, I pick up shifts all the time to pay down debt. Ill probably stock picking up shifts when my student loans are gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's way too personal of an issue to say when, but I think it's a great idea. If you can work 30 hours a week and still make plenty of money, why not? It's great for your health and social/family life.

I hope to go part time when I get in my 50's. Going to try my best to save, save, save!!

good,pick up shifts all the time to pay down debt. Ill probably stock picking up shifts when my student loans are gone.

It's way too personal of an issue to say when, but I think it's a great idea. If you can work 30 hours a week and still make plenty of money, why not? It's great for your health and social/family life.

I know what you mean, like 30 hrs is like 90k, which is a ton of money for any career once debt is finished. Just feels so weird to not work full time in your 20s in a career position. I often wonder if I should grab f/t o/t now before more grads come out yet ive been doing that for last few years, people say saturation blah blah but still f/t...

I hope to go part time when I get in my 50's. Going to try my best to save, save, save!!

I see over in the survey thread your net worth is quite nice, personally do you have a number to hit before part time or look for easier lower paying like hospital job? Ive been toying with the idea of hitting a net worth close to yours then sailing into part time, but I will only be in my 30s!

A couple of things to consider: would it affect your benefits (health insurance, 401 k)? Would you be the first one to go when there is a cutback?

A couple of things to consider: would it affect your benefits (health insurance, 401 k)? Would you be the first one to go when there is a cutback?

Health would be from spouse, loss on 401, cutback varies hmmm
I think keep f/t until can afford to get cut back....
Bm bio what your plan to get out of rx?

Right now I can in theory get out of pharmacy and I would be OK but I can't leave that much money on the table...not just the salary but also the 401 k match, health insurance, company stocks at a discount.

If I didn't like my job then that may be a different story. My goal is to work hard now, invest, save up and retire at 55.

Right now I can in theory get out of pharmacy and I would be OK but I can't leave that much money on the table...not just the salary but also the 401 k match, health insurance, company stocks at a discount.

If I didn't like my job then that may be a different story. My goal is to work hard now, invest, save up and retire at 55.

How do you come at 55 yrs for retirement?

I figure 65 is already "old" and I want to enjoy life while I am still young and healthy.

I figure 65 is already "old" and I want to enjoy life while I am still young and healthy.
Hmm I think even 55 is already too old to be doing daily pharmacist work. Standing, telephone, etc...

I need to find the amount of money needed to sail into retirement comfortably, not an easy task

Hi

When do y'all think is a good time to shift to part time work? Feeling not quite burnt out but working 3 days is tempting =)

As soon as pay off loan? 70 k is great income for my metro... Only people I know who went pt are moms, which I am not!

What dialect of English is this?

I see over in the survey thread your net worth is quite nice, personally do you have a number to hit before part time or look for easier lower paying like hospital job? Ive been toying with the idea of hitting a net worth close to yours then sailing into part time, but I will only be in my 30s!

well that's the tricky part...ie magic number to do so. I know right now im 100% into planning for retirement (ie no debt, own my home, etc). So guaranteed $23K saved annually for 401K and IRA. I do have some taxable accounts and just started my CD ladder. Just have regular bills/expenses, rest goes to savings/investing, and well some fun time as well. I think another solid 10 years will do it (providing no major loss in 401K or IRA) to make me feel comfortable with it. Im pretending that social security doesn't exist so that way when its time to collect that will make things easier. I try to read up on things here and there. I know there is fire calc you can put numbers into, etc (but don't know if Im doing it right and don't have all the information yet to put it in).

I'm w' BMB...but I have sucked @ student loan payoff...saving...and living frugal

so I'm probably going to be @ 65...

side note: CD's are terrible, terrible tools for investing. You are losing money, with inflation, usually.

to OP: Go part-time whenever you want. If you're not relaxed, happy, enjoying every day, then it's time to change jobs or careers and find what truly does make you happy.

I was full-time +overtime most weeks with Walgreens as a floater. I was burnt out, and my numbers (errors) were showing it, and there was absolutely zero upward mobility for me there, despite 5+ attempts at different locations in my metro to become a manager or staff. I went to a LTC pharmacy as part-time salaried rated for 35 hrs/weekend @ $105k/year but lost retirement and health ins is more expensive now, ~$600/month. I still probably work on average around 38-42 hrs, now a year later, but it's worth it. Go PT, enjoy life, travel, relax awhile, volunteer doing something around town, or at a school, get involved at church... Go back to FT later.

If you feel like it's time to cut back (and you can afford to), it probably is.

This. And if you still get benefits, DO EET. The OP could still pick up extra hours for vacations or sick time.

I laddered CDs myself. They should not be the sole investment method, but they are useful when done appropriately.