When to inform my boss that I plan on moving?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New attending here.

I love my current boss and like my current gig. However, I'll be moving states to be with my family, among other reasons.

How much of a heads up should I give my boss? (I plan on moving in a year.)

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want your buy-out in our partnership, you have to give 6 months notice. We prefer 12 though. The hiring cycle is about 9-10 for our group. Heck, it takes 4-5 just to get licensed and credentialed sometimes. Two weeks notice is totally unreasonable for doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
(1) Check your contract, it may stipulate [I had one that stipulated minimum 90d, I made sure to give at least 90d!]
(2) If you have a good relationship with your work and fully trust them... tell them early so they can appropriately join the interview circuit, and make good, early decisions about candidates. Perhaps not 12mo notice, but 9mo would really help them out. Certainly in my group we've known people are leaving for family/relocation reasons, and often they let us know this is happening 6+ month out. Its a great help to be able to line up a replacement, instead of stretching everyone else thin for months waiting for a newbie to start. Good will goes a long way.
(2) If you have a contentious relationship with your employer, and you fear retribution (horrible schedules, etc) once you give notice, then give the minimum required by your contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses!

My boss is great and fulfills all my schedule requests. I just don't want him to take that away from me!

I think I'll tell him soon and give him at least 9 months heads up, if not more.

I would. I feel like a "good boss" wouldnt do anything to harm you. People understand that life happens.