When to retake mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeVeeZee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but here it goes...

Want to apply this cycle but got a 26 on mcat took on apr 5th ( 11 ps 10 bio 5 vr). I know I have to retake and boost verbal to have any chance but I know the earlier you submit things in the cycle the better, but I also need adequate time to boost my score. Talked to premed advisor and she suggested retaking in August. She feels that getting scores back by sept shouldn't hurt my chances bc I feel the earlier the better but I also know I need time to prepare. Any comments greatly appreciated.....

Btw 3.77 cGPA, what kind of mcat score do you guys think I need to get an acceptance anywhere in the us? Am I even close?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Having your app completed w/ MCAT by September is fairly late…

Hard to say with just your GPA. Do you have research? EC's (Clinical, Non-Clinical), LOR's?

Having your app completed w/ MCAT by September is fairly late…

Hard to say with just your GPA. Do you have research? EC's (Clinical, Non-Clinical), LOR's?

1 semester of research in a lab for credit, volunteer solid and shadowing have at least 50 hours in surgery and clinicals, have 3 letters (two from chem profs and 1 from cordinator from volunteering)

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but here it goes...

Want to apply this cycle but got a 26 on mcat took on apr 5th ( 11 ps 10 bio 5 vr). I know I have to retake and boost verbal to have any chance but I know the earlier you submit things in the cycle the better, but I also need adequate time to boost my score. Talked to premed advisor and she suggested retaking in August. She feels that getting scores back by sept shouldn't hurt my chances bc I feel the earlier the better but I also know I need time to prepare. Any comments greatly appreciated.....

Btw 3.77 cGPA, what kind of mcat score do you guys think I need to get an acceptance anywhere in the us? Am I even close?

Thanks

What were you scoring on your practice tests? Was the 5 a complete surprise? Are you certain you will do better in August? Perhaps taking a year off to get your application as strong as you can get it, is worth considering.