When to schedule Away rotations and Sub Is (confused)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we apply start of Sept.
A couple of questions.

I have Sept and Oct to do a Sub I and an away rotation based on my 4th year schedule. I'm not sure which order to do it in.

1) Is doing a month long Sub I in medicine in October going to interfere with interviews? Does doing an away in September even make sense?

2) Or should I just do my Sub I in medicine in September and forget about an away rotation? Wouldn't October be too late for an away?

3) Will a letter from my Sub I even matter if I'm doing it this late?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So we apply start of Sept.
A couple of questions.

I have Sept and Oct to do a Sub I and an away rotation based on my 4th year schedule. I'm not sure which order to do it in.

1) Is doing a month long Sub I in medicine in October going to interfere with interviews? Does doing an away in September even make sense?

An away in September is fine. Might get you a courtesy interview. Don't expect a LOR - too late to matter.

2) Or should I just do my Sub I in medicine in September and forget about an away rotation? Wouldn't October be too late for an away?

Could still get a courtesy interview from an October away. You should not schedule any October interviews though if you're on an away.

3) Will a letter from my Sub I even matter if I'm doing it this late?

Thanks

No, it won't.

Not worth obsessing over.

sub-i for radiology is not important. For example, I'm doing my sub-i in medicine next month.. and i match in 2 days.

Focus on your aways for the pre-interview rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
is the general consensus that a medicine sub-i LOR is not that important? I'm sure it depends on the applicant in the end but just curious because I'm currently trying to set up my schedule and wouldn't mind avoiding my sub-i until the later months.

I had all 3rd year surgery letters for clinicals; didnt make much difference.

i had all 3rd year medicine letters... didnt make a difference either. heard nothing but good things about the letters.

like drizz said, doesn't matter.

also aways for rads doesn't really matter unless you're trying to break a geographic region

Does it matter what kind of sub-i you do? I'm still deciding between rads and a surgical subspecialty so I had to sign up for a surgery sub-i because our deadline for that has been reached...

A lot of people in my school didnt do a surgery AI even if they went into a surgical subspecialty. They did multiple away rotations in their subspecialtiy early on and didnt do their AI until the spring.

Another Q since I'm planing to take CK in August. I'm not sure what date to sign up for with regards to submitting ERAS. I've heard to be careful so that scores do not come back before I submit.

Any advice? Also, if I get my scores back after submitting ERAS, is there an easy way to send CK scores to schools?

I believe you can choose not to release your Step 2 CK score. Also, if you do choose to release your score to schools, you can do it via ERAS. If not, always an excuse to send a letter of update... ;-)

So when is a good time to do a sub-I in medicine so as to not avoid missing days for interviews? I could no one in Oct - mid November and get it out of the way (would this interfere with interviews?)... or wait and do it later in February or March, for example. Also, does that seem like a good idea to prepare for intern year?

Last edited:
So when is a good time to do a sub-I in medicine so as to not avoid missing days for interviews? I could no one in Oct - mid November and get it out of the way (would this interfere with interviews?)... or wait and do it later in February or March, for example. Also, does that seem like a good idea to prepare for intern year?

October is okay. November is bad.

do february. im doing my subI in feb. i figure interviews should be done by the end of Jan.

do february. im doing my subI in feb. i figure interviews should be done by the end of Jan.

A few programs have late interviews, particularly some of the Harvard and CA programs (a bunch had their last interviews in the first week of February last year). With the later start, more may be pushed into February.

I would do October or earlier, or March or later.

A few programs have late interviews, particularly some of the Harvard and CA programs (a bunch had their last interviews in the first week of February last year). With the later start, more may be pushed into February.

I would do October or earlier, or March or later.
ah well hopefully NY and NJ interviews dont go into february :)