When to send in LORs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers.
After hem and hawing for several years, I finally want to apply to dental school this cycle.

Since I am a non-traditional applicant who's been out of school for a while with slightly below Average GPA, I wanted to apply super early and get in on the first batch if possible.

So my question is when do we exactly send in the LORs to AADSAS?
I know the applications become available around June 1st.
Do we wait until June 1st to do something on the AADSAS and send the LOR packet to the professors and dentist ?

Should I wait until June 1st to ask for the letter or should I prepare early and ask for it now and then ask them to submit it when the time comes?

And lastly, here's the question you guys all dread to hear.
Do I have a chance? :)

I have 3.4 overall GPA (with few bad grades that hurt me pretty badly, but didn't fix before graduating)
TS 25 AA 24 PAT 18 :(
about 150 hours of hospital volunteering hours
100 hours of local dental office shadowing
Expecting to get good LOR from a supervisor (hospital operating room)
possibly 1 solid LOR froma professor I SI'ed for (organic chemistry) and had good relationship
possibly slightly weak LOR from another professor who probably doesn't remember me all too well.

Any responses will be appreciated.
Starting to get anxious! Come June 1st!

Members don't see this ad.

for me.... our school had a pre-health advisor who would collect the LORs of all pre-health student, write a committee letter himself and send everything together to AADSAS. So.... I asked my prof to send in LORs to my pre-health advisor well before June. If you have such advisor, I suggest you do the same. Otherwise, just ask the profs to start preparing the letter now so that they can submit to AADSAS when the application opens.

as for your stats, I think you are more than fine. with AA24 I'm sure you will land multiple interviews. good luck !

When the application opens on June 2nd, you enter the letter writer's info and email and it sends them an email with a link to upload the letter. Ask them ahead of time so they are not rushed but you may have to remind them.

Your chances are fine, nontrad with decent GPA and stellar DAT score will land you multiple interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both. So just go ahead and ask now and tell them that it can be submitted sometime after they get the submission link from AADSAS?

As far as my chances of getting in are concerned, would University of maryland or VCU be considered pretty hard to get in? I would love to get into either of the schools (preferrably UMD). I am wondering if either of these schools are considered top schools like upenn and UCLA and UCSF, which I didn't think.

Thanks again for clearing up the question about the LORs.

One more noobie question, when should I send the physical transcript to the AADSAS? I know they can take about a week or two, so should I go ahead and send it some time arond May 15th so they will have it by the time the application becomes available? or is that too early?

Thanks.

One more noobie question, when should I send the physical transcript to the AADSAS? I know they can take about a week or two, so should I go ahead and send it some time arond May 15th so they will have it by the time the application becomes available? or is that too early?

Thanks.

I cant tell u much about UMD or VCU
but as for the transcript, you should wait till the application opens because AADSAS will give you a PDF document with matching number (im not sure if that is what its called exactly) and barcode. You are asked to submit the transcript with this PDF document attached.

Yeah, they'll receive a link to upload it in an email from AADSAS.

Chances are hard to say for specific school but yours are good enough to at least get interviews.

As for transcripts, wait until the application opens where you enter your schools attended. You'll recieve a pdf of the transcript matching form which is to be filled out and included in the envelope with your transcript.

Thank you guys again for helping out a noob!