when to send letter of intent to #1 program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
when do you send your letter of intent?

after their last interview?
closer to rank lists due?

what are your guys thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're targeting that sweet spot where programs are done interviewing, but haven't yet had their rank meeting (which may occur anywhere from minutes after their last interview to the day before rank lists are due), so I guess my vote would be earlier rather than later.

Caveat to that: sending the letter probably does nothing more than adding to the mind games of match season. I sent such a letter because I felt like I had to maximize my chances, and I got a really long, personalized email that made me think I was a shoe-in for my #1; and matched at #3 (still a great program). So do what you need to do to keep your sanity for the next couple months, but take the responses you get with a grain of salt, and avoid thinking about all the "what if"s.

Reactions: 1 users
I dunno, still thinking what I am gonna do. I have a feeling it does not make a difference. I think programs are making a concerted effort to get away from this kind of stuff. Several have said at the end of the interview day that they appreciate letters and such but it does not make difference. I stopped sending thank you letters, I think programs get tired of them also. I also did not like the stress of my mind playing into if I got a response back or not. I think at my last 2 or 3 interviews it was noted how unnecessary they were.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we are going to send a letter of intent, to whom should it be addressed? The selection committee as a whole? The program director?

You should address it to the admissions committee as a whole. And every program is different, some may really feel reassured by a letter of intent, some won't. Do what makes you feel good. No one's position is going to be worsened by writing an LOI, unless you come across as a jerk, like the infamous LeBron special where he announced his intentions to take his talents to South Beach.

You should address it to the admissions committee as a whole. And every program is different, some may really feel reassured by a letter of intent, some won't. Do what makes you feel good. No one's position is going to be worsened by writing an LOI, unless you come across as a jerk, like the infamous LeBron special where he announced his intentions to take his talents to South Beach.

And what's worse is that he took his talents back to Cleveland, just as some of us were gearing up to become the greatest bandwagon Miami Heat fans ever!

I agree, it doesn't hurt to sent a letter of intent, but it likely won't make much of a difference in the long run. There is no way to "play" the match... it a fickle beast...

Hi, i was going to make a new topic but decided to piggy back on this one instead.

If a residency's advanced program is my number one, and their categorical is my number 3/4, should I specify this in my letter of intent (loses impact)? Or is it fine just to say that I will be "ranking XXX as my number one choice"?

-

Last edited: