When to start applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty committed to go straight into hospital staffing now. Should I start applying now, or wait till after graduation, or until after I take the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

start now! can't hurt. Plus the job application process can take months in some institutions. You can also call places you are interested in and see if they will be opening up positions in the next couple months. Most places know if they will have positions available in the next couple months or not.

I'm pretty committed to go straight into hospital staffing now. Should I start applying now, or wait till after graduation, or until after I take the boards?

I tought you applied to residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)

The job market is so packed right now it would be pointless to apply anywhere. There are 10 people appyling for every hospital job and most have a completed a residencey. Why would an employer pass up all those applicants to take a student who isn't going to graduate for 2 months and then has to pass boards?

Wait until you have graduated and scheduled your board exams then start applying.

i second mountainpharmd. no one will seriously consider you unless you have a license or have a connection. even then, it kinda sucked doing naplex/law knowing that my job was on the line if i didn't pass the first time.

also, be prepared to work nights and/or doing scut work.

I heard in some hospitals, there are still class of 2010 who stayed as interns at the hospital waiting for the next job to come along. One hospital in Brooklyn have not hired since 09 and that was only for one position.