When to start MCAT studies.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PreMeddieRick

I have a question:
I am a soph. at a mid size christian university. My grades are average, and I know that they need to be better(I'm working on that), but I really really want to go to med school, and become a doctor! I know that Schools look at 3 things; 1-MCAT 2-GPA 3-Extra-curriculars. Seeing that I probably won't become a genius tomorrow, and I can only have so much extra activities, I know that the MCAT might just as well do it for me :idea: . When would you suggest starting to study for it? (PLEASE, only people who have taken the MCAT answer this question).
Thanks so much!
PreMeddieRick

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT tests basic knowledge. However, it tests how quickly you can answer questions of this basic knowledge.

Therefore the optimal conditions for taking each section of the test would be after finishing that semester of class. Because of this there are diminishing returns on studying for the MCAT over a longer period of time. However, studying over a longer period of time will help, but not as significantly as you might hope.

If you are to take a review course I would suggest completing the course right before the MCAT.

Good luck.

someone should start an MCAT forum!

Members don't see this ad :)
the mcat is not so much a test of basic knowledge. mostly all the information you need to answer the science questions are right there in the passages, however, it does help to have background knowledge. i would say that the mcat is an endurance test. timing is key and it has to be mastered. if you are planning on taking the test in april, i would start studying in early jan. if you are planning on taking it in august, i would begin prep in june. i found review classes to be extremely helpful. i liked kaplan's books and materials better than princeton's. however, princeton had awesome teachers. berkeley was just a bit too much over board. i found the kaplan practice tests to be the most identical to the real mcat. so good luck with the exam and be sure not to get too overstressed, as most people do. just remember that the best technique to master the mcat is PRACTICE.

Originally posted by indo
someone should start an MCAT forum!

there is an mcat forum on sdn, it's called "mcat discussions".

Originally posted by UCIgrad2002
there is an mcat forum on sdn, it's called "mcat discussions".

get outta here....really?