When to start studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedStudent95

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When should I start studying for the MCAT? I am a freshman premed first semester. I don't want to leave it too long but also I don't want to start studying way before I have to. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

NOW. by now i dont mean study 5+ hours everyday but start looking at the materia, how to study, whats on the exam, and do some studying when you have free time. srs

Members don't see this ad :)
When should I start studying for the MCAT? I am a freshman premed first semester. I don't want to leave it too long but also I don't want to start studying way before I have to. Help?

In all seriousness: as you take pre-reqs, keep yourself refreshed on material. When you're heading into the MCAT at the end of junior or senior year or whenever you take it, the prereqs you took freshman year are going to be pretty fuzzy. At the beginning of spring semester freshman year, I invested in a set of generic MCAT flashcards and would go through a few every day or every other day before going to bed. At the time I didn't think it was going to be all that helpful, but it just became somewhat of a habit. Now that I'm about 6-8 months away from actually taking the MCAT, I'm finding content review much less painful than some of my peers because most topics are still fresh in my mind. Granted, many people say that you only need to study for the MCAT for 3 months, but to me that 3 months is better spent doing actual preparation for taking the test successfully, rather than learning all of the material again.