When to Take AAMC Full Lengths and Self-Assessments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostnever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaker here registered for 1/8/15 test date. I should be done with content review (including practice problems) by early/mid-November. I don't want to waste full lengths by doing them to far out from the test, but I want to make sure I'm on track for a good score. So...

When should I start taking full length exams and the AAMC self assessments?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I was studying for the exam on September 18th I did the Self-Assessments about a month and a half or two months before and then spent about two weeks reviewing the material focusing more on what the Self-Assessments said I was weakest in. This led me up to about a month before the exam, when I started taking the AAMC practice exams. I took two practice exams every week with two days in between and a rest day each week. During those two days in between I went through the practice exams each day looking at every question and paying close attention to the ones I missed or marked. I then took one chapter from each subject book in EK (Orgo, Chem, Bio, Physics) and spent just about 20 minutes each skimming the chapter and looking at the in-reading questions to make sure I still felt comfortable with the material. For Bio, which I felt was my weakest science, I would actually just reread a chapter every day in between practice exam days since the EK chapters are not too long and Bio is something you learn more by just reading material on it rather than doing questions. While this short review of each chapter may seem insignificant I found it important for me to at least look at the material so it would stay fresh in my mind since the practice exams don't cover all the material you have to know. Taking a month to just do practice exams is a long time that you may forget some details that the practice exams don't cover, which is why I did this quick daily chapter review. I also bought a book called Kaplan 45 Advanced Prep that had some really tough practice that I would try on these between exam days but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you feel like the normal practice isn't tough enough. I didn't find it that helpful and it was a little discouraging. Lastly, of course, I would do my two verbal passages. These days would take about 4-6 hours.

I ended up getting a 38 (PS14 VR11 BS13) after getting 39's and 40's on the practice tests.

When I was studying for the exam on September 18th I did the Self-Assessments about a month and a half or two months before and then spent about two weeks reviewing the material focusing more on what the Self-Assessments said I was weakest in. This led me up to about a month before the exam, when I started taking the AAMC practice exams. I took two practice exams every week with two days in between and a rest day each week. During those two days in between I went through the practice exams each day looking at every question and paying close attention to the ones I missed or marked. I then took one chapter from each subject book in EK (Orgo, Chem, Bio, Physics) and spent just about 20 minutes each skimming the chapter and looking at the in-reading questions to make sure I still felt comfortable with the material. For Bio, which I felt was my weakest science, I would actually just reread a chapter every day in between practice exam days since the EK chapters are not too long and Bio is something you learn more by just reading material on it rather than doing questions. While this short review of each chapter may seem insignificant I found it important for me to at least look at the material so it would stay fresh in my mind since the practice exams don't cover all the material you have to know. Taking a month to just do practice exams is a long time that you may forget some details that the practice exams don't cover, which is why I did this quick daily chapter review. I also bought a book called Kaplan 45 Advanced Prep that had some really tough practice that I would try on these between exam days but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you feel like the normal practice isn't tough enough. I didn't find it that helpful and it was a little discouraging. Lastly, of course, I would do my two verbal passages. These days would take about 4-6 hours.

I ended up getting a 38 (PS14 VR11 BS13) after getting 39's and 40's on the practice tests.
You're awesome! Thanks so much for the advice!

I think I should be ready to take the SA's in a few weeks, once I finish content review. The PS section was my weakest (mainly because I took it so long ago), so I'm really trying to get the content solid.

Did you only take AAMC full lengths?

Make sure you feel comfortable with the content before starting the SA's and practice exams. There is no point wasting valuable AAMC questions and tests when you don't know the material. I only did AAMC full length exams and the SA's. I had a tutor from Next Step Test Prep and this is what he recommended. The other practice exams from Princeton Review and Kaplan and such aren't as good of a representation since they are not real MCAT questions. Often times the companies have other motivations like making earlier tests harder and later ones easier so you think you are improving so I would take those with a grain of salt if you are going to do them. I knew a few people who would get in the teens on TPR exams and then mid 30's on AAMC exams so they aren't as good of a representation of what is actually going to be on the exam. They are probably good to help test your knowledge of the content but I would use the AAMC material to really simulate the actual exam.

Reactions: 1 users