When to take Dat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Szm0052

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I had a question when to take my dat. I am reapplying in June 2017 and am doing graduate school starting in August for a year. I was wondering when I should retake my DAT. I was thinking in August because I only have to take two hours in the summer so I would have time to study. Please let me know if September isn't too late either! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I had a question when to take my dat. I am reapplying in June 2017 and am doing graduate school starting in August for a year. I was wondering when I should retake my DAT. I was thinking in August because I only have to take two hours in the summer so I would have time to study. Please let me know if September isn't too late either! Thank you!
Shoot for Aug but don't take it until you're ready, if you can't take it during your program shoot for the end of June so you have some extra crunch time to extend into if need be. I was retaking it and my deadline hit and I had felt ready for the sciences but neglected the non science sections and time ran out, I ended up doing much better in science and much worse in the other sections prompting some interview questions. Lesson is be fairly ready for it all before you sit down to retake it. If you aren't push it off and keep it as your top priority. Also on a side note FYI many schools won't consider you if you are in the middle of a masters program so do some research on that if you that is indeed what you are doing.

Shoot for Aug but don't take it until you're ready, if you can't take it during your program shoot for the end of June so you have some extra crunch time to extend into if need be. I was retaking it and my deadline hit and I had felt ready for the sciences but neglected the non science sections and time ran out, I ended up doing much better in science and much worse in the other sections prompting some interview questions. Lesson is be fairly ready for it all before you sit down to retake it. If you aren't push it off and keep it as your top priority. Also on a side note FYI many schools won't consider you if you are in the middle of a masters program so do some research on that if you that is indeed what you are doing.
Okay thank you! I'll be done with the masters program when schools start to look at my application so that will be okay I think but I'll look at it!