When to take MCAT if applying this cycle for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickyP86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried to do a search on this but had some trouble. I'm thinking of applying this cycle since I'm finishing up my last prereq. It would be my first attempt at it and since I'm not taking summer courses, I can dedicate a lot of time studying. From here, I read that I should take it by April at the latest? But someone also told me since I'm only applying DO that I can afford to wait til around August to take the MCAT.

I know I should take it when I'm ready, but when would be the latest I can take it and still be considered early for DO school applications?? My GPA will probably be around 3.1c/3.3s after this semester, I have letters from professors and a DO I shadowed, so I just need to tackle the MCAT!
(side note: I would like to go to LECOM in Bradenton since it's close to home but beggars can't be choosers)

Members don't see this ad.

That person was quite confused. Applications to any school (including DO) will be more likely to get accepted the earlier they go in. If you take it in August it is 3 weeks to get scores back 4-6 weeks to get verified and you are in October which is fairly late. And with your GPA you need all the help you can get. Take it when you are ready though.

That person was quite confused. Applications to any school (including DO) will be more likely to get accepted the earlier they go in. If you take it in August it is 3 weeks to get scores back 4-6 weeks to get verified and you are in October which is fairly late. And with your GPA you need all the help you can get. Take it when you are ready though.

I see, thanks! Would June/July be too late for this cycle then?

No I don't think so. If I were you I would submit my application sometime in may (apply to like 1 school) to get you application verified. Then when you get your MCAT score back you can update your score and if you got a good score then add the other schools and you won't have to go through the 4-6 week verification process again. If you get a bad score then don't apply and you won't be viewed as a reapplicant next cycle.