When to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

619dr2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a question about the Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry for MCAT. I will be taking one semester of Organic Chemistry as well as one semester of Biochemistry. I'm wondering when to take the MCAT. My dilemma is I will take Organic Chemistry, Spring 2015. This sets me up to take the Biochemistry in the Fall 2015. I have found some very good online courses, but is it common for students to take the MCAT before taking a face to face Biochemistry class? I don't want to have to wait another year. Which if I took the MCAT after my Biochemistry course I wouldn't be applying until Summer 2016. I hope I didn't get too confusing.

So questions:
-Is a one semester OCHem sufficient?
-is it advised to take MCAT with out an official Biochemistry course. (I'd take one online).

Members don't see this ad.

OChem only accounts for a very small portion of the exam. Something like 7% if I recall.

I took the MCAT with only 1 semester of OChem, and the next time I wrote I had both semesters and it definitely helped, obviously. This is not an exam that you want to rush into. If you have OChem 2 and biochem in Fall 2015 then you would probably be well served to take both of those classes before you write the MCAT.

For my degree, I'm not required to take the full year of OChem 1-2. I can take Elements of OChem, which is a one semester course. Which I will be taking in the Spring 2015. Even if I wanted to take OChem 1-2, my school only offers OChem 1 in the Fall and OChem 2 in the Spring.

So I'm trying to decide whether or not to take the MCAT next May or wait another application cycle to do it after I've taken Biochemistry.

Oh ok. I would suggest then that you go through all of the biochem content and decide if you will be able to teach yourself for the exam. Someone else who is writing the new MCAT might have to weigh in though. I've only taken the current version.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not skip ochem content becuase you may end up with an ochem heavy exam like me. I highly reccomend you review basic lab techniques from ochem as well as some reactions like sn2 etc...

you will know you are ready when you have good practice test scores. I got EVERY brand of mcat books made, all used, some old from 2002. I did paper tests and when they were in range of 28-30, then i started doing computer tests and worked my way up to high 30s.
so its not all about taking the second semester biochem or ochem, but if you can get your practice test up to where you want it without the class, or you may find you need to take them

Reactions: 1 user