When to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the Mannis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore, and currently taking intro biology, organic chemistry and general physics. Going to take biochemistry in fall 2016.

When should i take the mcat? I am fine with a gap year, whatever it takes to get admitted. I am thinking about taking mcat during spring semester and only take 12 credits, but this site seems to have the opinion that studying for mcat with classes, even if as light as possible, is a bad choice. So is it doable? And if not, then what time would be the best to study for it and then take it?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent the final month of my MCAT prep taking classes. I was in the final phase where I was mostly taking practice exams, but I can say that it was hard. I generally don't think it is a good idea to study for the MCAT if you have a lot of commitments. However, it is definitely possible if you already have a good knowledge base, have a detailed study schedule and dedication, and are willing to study over a potentially extended time period. Some people can literally study for the MCAT in 3-6 weeks and score well, but they are an anomaly. I would say most people probably can't handle it unless they schedule everything out ahead of time and spend maybe 5 months. If you can devote a summer one year in advance of your application, that would be the best option, IMO.

If i were to do it in the summer, what month would i take it and what months would i study before hand?

The best times to take it over the summer are probably late August or early September. I took my MCAT a couple weeks ago after a summer of hard studying and felt like I had enough time to prepare.
I started making a study plan in January, started going through the AAMC outline and making flashcards for everything in early March, and really started my study plan once classes got done in mid May.